Hoover Troubles

Luchia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

Hoping to get some advice if possible, my 4 year old indoor kitty seems to be petrified of our new hoover, unfortunately our old Dyson V10 broke down this morning and we went out and bought a new Shark Cordless hoover, she’s never been bothered by the hoover before, she would even lay down while I was hoovering right next to her but went to use the new one today and she darted onto the bedside table and cowards back in a ball, I’m assuming it’s a new sound of smell triggering it but it was awful to see :( she goes back to her normal self pretty quickly once hoovering is finished.

any advice would be immensely appreciated as I have to hoover daily as she has allergies(also the reason for getting the Shark)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty much every one of mine has hated the Hoover/vacuum cleaner and I don’t know there is much that can be done to change their mind . What I do is to bring it out and show it to them before I turn it on so that they have time to go hide before I begin.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Perhaps, over time your cat will get used to the new vacuum - or, not. For now, try to place her in a separate room while you use it, and then place her elsewhere when you do that room.

There are some cats who will run at the sight of a vacuum, much less when it is being used. So, only time will tell. One of mine never got used to a vacuum, and my current cat could care less.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luchia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s very strange as the last hoover never bothered her at all, most of the time I have to pick her up and move her so I could hoover where she was laid, but this one she’s petrified of, not sure if it’s the noise or maybe even the new smell or design of the hoover

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be a noise thing. I have two Dyson- one stick, one plug in. My girls hate the plug in one with the passion of a thousand sun's. They go hide under the bed and then fall asleep, emerging hours later. ;) But the stick Dyson is quieter so they allow it to come relatively close before running.
The robot vacuum has a mixed relationship. One doesn't mind. Another doesn't like it and is horrified that it goes under the bed with her!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two react differently. Lily hightails it to the basement and stays there until I sound the all clear. Mingo is nonplussed about it and even stays in his tree while I vacuum under it.

Give it some time. The new one smells and sounds different, but don't expect either kitty to like it, but they will get used to it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to put Poppycat in the garage when it's warm enough or in his mesh tent on the porch. I personally have to use ear protection because my Oreck has a high pitched whine to it that's hard on both our ears lol

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

Hoping to get some advice if possible, my 4 year old indoor kitty seems to be petrified of our new hoover, unfortunately our old Dyson V10 broke down this morning and we went out and bought a new Shark Cordless hoover, she’s never been bothered by the hoover before, she would even lay down while I was hoovering right next to her but went to use the new one today and she darted onto the bedside table and cowards back in a ball, I’m assuming it’s a new sound of smell triggering it but it was awful to see :( she goes back to her normal self pretty quickly once hoovering is finished.

any advice would be immensely appreciated as I have to hoover daily as she has allergies(also the reason for getting the Shark)

• Purraise
Reactions: D_H