Hootie seems to spend an excessive amount of time scratching around in the litter box.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never notice her doing it in the day that much but it always seems when I'm trying to sleep Hootie will use the bathroom then spend several minutes scratching and digging to cover it up. Even if the box is freshly cleaned she will do this and Sissy rarely does it, only scratching a few times before leaving. Sometimes I think Hootie is doing it on purpose because as I've mentioned I only really notice it when I'm trying to sleep. 

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is Hootie? I have a 6 month old and she used to do that when she was younger. It was at night when things were quiet. She stopped after one or two months. Maybe Hootie is like mine and will outgrow it. 

chai love

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she actually burying her waste when doing all that scratching? Both my cats scratch excessively in the litter box. One of them just scratches the wall though 
 The other keeps scratching until he's fully satisfied that his waste is covered enough. Maybe there's something about the litter box she doesn't like? Such as the litter or the box itself or maybe there's an odor she can detect that you can't and she's trying to cover it up.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ahhh both my kitties have become quite the diggers!

Charlie, 6 mo. old male, will literally dig to China before he does his business, followed by even more digging and scratching, excessive in my opinion, to cover his business.

Jet, 4 mo. old female, she doesn't really dig deep to do her business, but when she's done, she digs, and scratches EVERYTHING. I have a covered litter box, so she'll have a go at the sides, the ceiling of the top lid, she'll hop out and dig on the mat for the litter box....then hop back in and finish her digging...but you know what?? with all that digging and scratching that she does...she still manages to not bury her business -_____-

You still love em tho right??

I tend to notice it more when i'm trying to go to sleep. I just think its because i'm trying to get some peace and quiet, and any little thing they do, just REALLY SEEMS OD!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my girls will be 2 years old in March and both of them will not only scratch the litter to cover their waste but scratch the wall, edge of the litter box and even the mat outside the litter box. However Hootie is the only one that seems to spend forever doing it at times. 

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of old girls, Wheezie, does this and always has. With all the digging and scratching the wall above the box, it sometimes takes her a full five minutes to get everything just as she likes it. She's my little weirdo :rub: Well, one of my little weirdos. Pooper will dig up and rebury everyone else's poop.