Hooligan Update: Problems arise, Questions

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Friends, 

I hope all is well! Hooligan is slowly eating his raw food (as I continue to put teaspoon amounts in it at every meal). The raw seems to be going undetected - which is good! Slowly but surely, he'll be fully on raw and mama will be happy :)

I just had two questions that were concerning me today. I FINALLY go the Egg Yolk Lecithin in the mail. I was wondering, exactly how should I be using it? Just sprinkling a pill of it on his food? Or should I be mixing it into something else and then giving it to him? Should I also be using the slippery elm regularly? This is for his hairballs - which haven't been a problem since my last post!

Secondly, he STILL seems to be scratching his "eyebrow" hair to the point when hair is missing again and there are scabs. I am really unsure of what to do - he seems completely fine regardless. And, I have also been home more often than usual. ...I just don't know what it is. I was thinking of using Rescue Remedy - have you guys tried it? Do you have any advice, information, ideas on whether I should bother with it or not?

I mean, this is all assuming it is an anxiety problem. 

Thanks, 

Melissa

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As to the egg yolk lecithin, some of my cats will eat it right off the plate, plain.  You might start by just giving 1/2 capsule every other day and see how he tolerates it.  I gave Callie 1 full capsule every day and she didn't have any issues, but others have said that that was too much for their cats and I believe it caused diarrhea.  If Hooligan doesn't eat it plain, then I would just mix it into his food.

As for the scratching, have you tried adding salmon oil or krill oil to his diet?  don't know that it would help, but it's really good for their coat and skin
.  And, yes, I have used Rescue Remedy, mainly just to calm them down before something was going to happen that they weren't going to like (think Vet Visit).  Do you have Feliway plugged in?  (sorry, can't remember and I'm kind of in a rush here)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks! I've been giving him 1/2 capsule with his food - I'm going to try to see if he eats it straight. 

I haven't added any krill or salmon oil in his food, what would that do? He coat is really beautiful, he does not have any dry skin either. I was thinking about the Rescue Remedy and giving it to him when I would leave, or there is the younger puppy over. What is  Feliway? I don't think I've every heard of it. 

Thanks!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Feliway is a plug-in diffuser that contains pheromones that supposedly help calm cats in certain situations.  It also comes in a spray that you can spray on their bedding, etc.  Just google it to read about it.  Some people swear by it, others don't think it works. 

I just thought of the "fish" oil because it helps skin,so figured it might help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh! That sounds really interesting. I just bought Rescue Remedy, so I'll see how that works out. The kitty plug-in doesn't sound like a terrible idea though!

Thanks!