honeymoon- cruise vs. hotel/vegas

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fiancee have a limited income and were trying to decide whether to take a cruise or go to vegas. Has anyone had any experience with Carnival Cruises? They have a four night Western Caribbean (sp?) cruise, for a mid-range cabin with a window for around $1100 with flight. I've also looked at flying to vegas for five nights and staying at the Westin, which is my favorite hotel, for a total of $950. This will happen in December of 2005. We want to keep total costs at $2000 or less and go somewhere warm. Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback on a honeymoon? Any opinions on Carnival or trips to Vegas? Thank you for any advice!

stormroguemom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been on Carnival, Disney and Royal Carribean.

Carnival caters to a younger crowd, but it works best if you want to get out in the crowd and party. We are a bit more reclusive, and that atmosphere really wasn't for us.

Royal Carribean was a bit boring, but they did have a nice gym.

Disney is actually nice for two adults, it has adults-only areas of the ship and of the private island. The adults-only beach is very nice, and quiet. They tend to show a lot of movies which is good if you get stuck for something to do.

For the money, i'd also look into one of the all-inclusive resorts like Sandals in Jamaica, which is for couples only. We are dual-income no kids (except fur babies) and we are are thinking of Sandals for our next holiday.

Have a great time whatever you do, if you want to do it on the cheaper side, there are always places stateside like South Padre Island in Texas which is nice for a beach get away.

Congratulations and good luck!

--deb (storm and rogue's mom)

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been on a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise, on Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas. I loved it! It was my 40th birthday present. If I HAD to turn 40, that was the way to do it. If you book through a cruises-only travel agency, you'll save a bundle. I use Cruises Etc.

Go for an inside cabin, with a queen-sized bed. After all, do you REALLY need a window or a balcony? That stateroom is just a place to sleep, shower and change clothes.

Have fun!

queencaticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I personally would go to Vegas, only because I live in England and going to Vegas would be a dream come true for me. Going any where in the U.S.A would be a dream come true for me.

loopy_lou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got married in Vegas and stayed there for our honeymoon. We loved it! It can be quite romantic. Lots of great restaurants and shops. Can fly over the Grand Canyon or you can get a helicoptor to fly over the strip at night!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katl8e,

We had also thought about going to Arizona. My future sister in law was stationed there for quite some time and said it's beautiful out there. Although I've heard that the northern rim of the Grand Canyon is closed for hiking I thought a helicopter flight would be pretty cool.

We really want to go to Sandals, but we just can't afford the extra thousand it would cost us. I definately think Sandals is the best deal overall.

I still can't decide whether to do the cruise or Vegas. We're going to Chicago this weekend to stay at the Westin there, so maybe that will help me decide. I love the Heavenly Bed!

Are inside cabins smaller than cabins with a window, or is the only real difference the window? I could do without a window as long as it wasn't smaller.

Queen Caticus, I would love to go to England! I looked at prices for flying over and it seemed like something we could do later on for not nearly as much money as I thought it would be. That has been a dream of mine for a long time- that and Germany.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suppose it would rather depend on the personal preferences and personalities of you and your fiance, but without a moment's hesitation, I would go with the cruise, definately!
Congratulations, you will have a wonderful time whichever you and he decide!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Standard cabins are all the same size. They aren't huge but, how much room does one need? You aren't going to spend that much time there. I preferred to save the money and spend it on fun stuff.

On my first cruise, we got a free upgrade and DID have an outside cabin. I looked out of the window, in order to see what the weather was like, first thing in the morning. The in-room TV usually has a channel, connected to a camera on the bridge, though. It also gives you a local weather report. If you want to look outside, go on deck - the view is better.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went on a cruise almost 2 yrs ago to the day and I would not ever go on a carribean cruise again. It was the 7 day one-you are stuck on the ship for 2 days each way. I would have liked to spend more time on the islands. On the ship you have to fight for chairs to lay around the pool. The food is good-I gained 6 lbs!! But really all you can do on the ship is lay by the pool, read, eat, walking around the ship, the gym for a short time. It got boring. The spa stuff I thought was expensive, they there are the island trips, those all add up in costs. Then tipping everyone when you leave. You have to have a window though. (claustrophobic!!) If I would go on a cruise again I would investigate how much island time you have. I'm a person however that cannot just sit and do nothing. Vegas is fun-my parents winter there. I like the shopping!! Fabulous restaurants. I don't gamble much (just at the shops) You can go to Hoover Dam (aka Tourist trap). I liked Red Rock Canyon. But I've seen Vegas not as a tourist but as a resident. Have you checked out Hawaii. Condo rentals can be quite reasonable. Whatever you decide-enjoy!!(you won't see daylight anyway!!)

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been on Carnival and Princess Cruise Lines. Carnival was nice, but no where NEAR the quality of Princess. On the Princess cruise we had a room with a balcony and were on a 7-night/8-day cruise of the Eastern Carribbean (St. Martin, St. Thomas, and their private island in the Bahamas - Princess Cay). This trip was about 31/2 years ago and cost about $1000. The balcony was great to have because we would have breakfast delivered in the mornings and would get to eat it out on our own little private balcony. It was an amazing way to start the day! There was plenty of partying on the ship plus lots of places to veg out if you don't want to be near the parties. I was on the Grand Princess for that cruise. When it comes to Carnival and PRincess, though I had a great time on both, there is really no comparison. Princess wins on all levels and was absolutely the better trip for the money! I would do anything to get to do that one again! Look into Princess and see what you can find out!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i went on a ship cruise back in sept 2003 it was my bday pressie. Sad to say i just missed out on having heaps of fun with all the teenies, because we booked just as everybody had to go back to school and i was stuck with all these old people.
I got really sick on the cruise from the airconditioning, we had a window but it wasnt all that worth it, when we didnt go onto land i was either eating in the restaurant, on the computer, or on the phone. Or simply slept!

I advise you though to buy a fancy dress because they have those fancy nights and i was prety much humiliated! for not having one!

stormroguemom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We were on Granduer of the Seas. It was Ok. We had an extra day at sea than originally intended, and I got a little bored with the poolside games & stuff. The shows were all song/dance things that didn't appeal to us. I think I needed that extra excursion day that got skipped.

The ship is nice & everything, it was just a little dull compared to Disney and Carnival.

Originally Posted by katl8e

I've been on a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise, on Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas. I loved it! It was my 40th birthday present. If I HAD to turn 40, that was the way to do it. If you book through a cruises-only travel agency, you'll save a bundle. I use Cruises Etc.

Go for an inside cabin, with a queen-sized bed. After all, do you REALLY need a window or a balcony? That stateroom is just a place to sleep, shower and change clothes.

Have fun!