Honest Kitchen dehydrated cat food

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was at the holistic pet food store and was given samples of this yesterday....

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/prowl/

I was also given a sample of the Grace (turkey) flavor.

I was intrigued because I had never seen or heard of this brand. 

One thing I couldn't quite tell....is it RAW?  Their website said something about steaming the meats so I'm guessing this is cooked food which is dehydrated.

Right now my cats are eating 50% raw and 50% grain free canned.  Since most of their grain free canned does have a few veggies this looks like the nutritional equivalent.

I'm guessing a benefit over canned is not worrying about carageenan (sp?) or bpa used in the cans.  I like that the meats are free range too.  I still have to do the math but my initial impression is that the price would be competitive with premium canned.  (The prices at my local store were a little lower than their website.)  It looks like wholesome stuff.  I haven't tried letting the cats taste it yet, but probably will soon.

What do you think?  Has anyone used it?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't like it :tongue2:. Well, they like Grace slightly more than Prowl but THK is just not a favorite around here. If your cats do like it, I agree with you on all points (about it being similar to canned without the BPA worries and additives). But it's all up to the cats!

Last edited:

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
None of my 5 cats would touch Prowl with a ten foot pole (haven't tried Grace, not sure I would based on the Prowl experience). Hopefully you have better luck! Here's the nutritional profile from Dr. Pierson:
 CALORIE % DRY MATTER % 
 ProteinFatCarbsmg Phos/100 kcalsProteinFatCarbsPhos DM kcals
Prowl 2654201783530260.84576/dry cup 
Grace 2961102354035151.15629/dry cup 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good input.  I'll mix it up and give it a try....and keep my expectations for the kitties liking it low. 

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Got small amounts of both to try and my cat wouldn't go near it, looks gross, weird texture, the dogs ate fine.