Homemade Raw Chicken Food Without Using A Grinder

sunbeam123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would like to start feeding my 2-year-old cat a homemade raw meat diet of chicken.
He loves raw chicken, and raw salmon, and sardines packed in water. He does not like cooked meat and he is currently on the GO wet food.
Could anyone recommend a simple to follow recipe for this? That would be great!
I have come across this page, however it talks about bone so. I was wondering, can I just buy a boneless chicken breast and try to find the chicken heart as well and cut it up small with the taurine powder and other additional vitamins plus the bonemeal powder. How much bonemeal powder? It did not say so I am not sure.
My cat is 10 lbs.
Making Cat Food

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site, sunbeam123!

The recipe that you linked to does have a variation for using bone meal, though you'll need to sort through the page and the ingredient list. I made the recipe once, partially cooking the meat and using bone meal, and our cats loved it. I used a food processor to coarsely grind everything up. I'm not knowledgeable enough about recipes and cat nutrition to feel comfortable changing recipes so won't answer that question you asked. Perhaps someone else can, though!

IMHO, the easiest way to make homemade cat food is with a premade supplement: I use EZcomplete, which is added to boneless meat. The meat can be either raw or cooked; I use cooked. I like the supplement because I don't have to fuss with questions of how many vitamins to add and what to do about bones. I also think that particular supplement has been especially good for one of our cats, who seems a bit prone to nausea: our vet thinks it's the pancreas in their recipe! There are other supplements available; Alnutrin also seems popular but I've never tried it.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunbeam123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Lisa, Thank you for the reply. What are you feeding your cats now?
I re-read the recipe I posted and was going to source 3 lbs of chicken and just cut out the bone part to use in a soup and grind the rest while also adding the vitamins and taurine. :) Have a great weekend!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're buying a whole chicken, I would whack up the back ribs, neck and wings. Raw bones are more nutritious than alternate calcium and mineral sources.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Lisa, Thank you for the reply. What are you feeding your cats now?
I re-read the recipe I posted and was going to source 3 lbs of chicken and just cut out the bone part to use in a soup and grind the rest while also adding the vitamins and taurine. :) Have a great weekend!
They eat commercial raw food (Rad Cat, Feline Natural, Northwest Naturals), homemade food made with EZcomplete, and canned food.

When I made Dr. Pierson's recipe, I had chicken thighs deboned (keeping the skin) at the butcher counter but I hear you about making soup stock! Here's wishing you a good weekend, too.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are feeding chicken, use the thigh, it is more substantial. You do need to add liver and supplements . If you don't want to add liver you can use something like EZ complete which is formulated for meat without bone or organs. I use it when I want to give my cats boneless meat and they like it . You can find it at www.foodfurlife.com for a dollar or two they will send you a sample.