Homemade Litter Mats?

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!

So, I'm really struggling with figuring out what kind of materials I can use for a litter mat. We recently converted to non-covered litter boxes, which I know is better. But, litter is literally everywhere! I have these litter mats that are sold in stores, but it does nothing to catch the litter. I read somewhere on this site that bath mats are great or even shag rugs. Though, I'm finding it difficult to find bath mats that are large enough. And shag rubs are pretty expensive! I have 3 litter boxes next to each other, and another litter box in a different room. What if I bought a huge carpet (the ones where you have to get someone to cut the dimensions for you) and at the entrance of my door put one of those "welcome" mats you find pretty much everywhere (see picture below). I had also read that those welcome mats can help. I'm pretty desperate.

Any help is VERY much appreciated! Thank you :)

Attachments

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats' boxes are both on ceramic tile, and they don't track too far, so I just use a broom an dustpan but...

I've always thought that this plastic shelf-liner from Dollar Tree is "rubbery" and dimpled enough to grab onto kitty litter: https://www.dollartree.com/Cleaning...lls/c1470c541p352597/index.pro#ratingsReviews

It comes in 5 foot rolls (x 12" wide), and easy to cut. I'm not sure if the little holes in it would let litter run through it, or if it would slide around on the floor by itself, but it could be laid inside, or double-sided taped into, a cookie sheet pan (also at the dollar store).

Cheap enough to experiment anyway for a buck or two.