Homemade Cat Shelter

millieandmilo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a stray/feral cat that i made a shelter for to stay warm. how can i get her to use it? i've tried moving it around to no avail

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the site - - glad you found it! It's a great place for info since you can almost always find someone who's had an experience like whatever you're dealing with! And SO nice that you're trying to make the life of an outside furry one a little better!!!!!!

I've got alot of experience with ferals and strays, and the joy of getting them to actually USE a shelter you've made for them (as does virtually everyone here). I'm short on time but will offer a few tidbits --- sure lots of others will weigh in with more!

First - what kind of shelter did you make and where is it located? Sometimes there are issues we as people don't recognize as a potential issue that would make a kitty nervous. Whatever type you've made, making sure it's insulated for warmth is important. It's also important to have it off the ground (even on a few bricks or a wooden palette - just enough to get it off of the ground as the cold ground actually will pull warmth from the shelter). And insulating with straw vs hay is also an important thing many people overlook.

Getting them to try it is always fun - - once they try it, often they're hooked. It's just getting them to realize it's warm! Don't use food to entice kitty inside -- - if even bits are left in there, you're likely to attract something other than a kitty (just ask many on this site who've found a big raccoon rather than a kitty in their shelter!). I use catnip and/or catnip toys. I sprinkle catnip on the ground outside the shelter, and a little more inside. I also put a new catnip toy inside to sweeten the deal a bit more. Just don't use a toy that's been used by another kitty - - - they'll likely smell the other kitty and assume the shelter's already "taken."

The biggest key is patience! Keep us posted on how it goes -- hopefully your kitty will soon realize how much you're trying to help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

millieandmilo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to the site - - glad you found it! It's a great place for info since you can almost always find someone who's had an experience like whatever you're dealing with! And SO nice that you're trying to make the life of an outside furry one a little better!!!!!!

I've got alot of experience with ferals and strays, and the joy of getting them to actually USE a shelter you've made for them (as does virtually everyone here). I'm short on time but will offer a few tidbits --- sure lots of others will weigh in with more!

First - what kind of shelter did you make and where is it located? Sometimes there are issues we as people don't recognize as a potential issue that would make a kitty nervous. Whatever type you've made, making sure it's insulated for warmth is important. It's also important to have it off the ground (even on a few bricks or a wooden palette - just enough to get it off of the ground as the cold ground actually will pull warmth from the shelter). And insulating with straw vs hay is also an important thing many people overlook.

Getting them to try it is always fun - - once they try it, often they're hooked. It's just getting them to realize it's warm! Don't use food to entice kitty inside -- - if even bits are left in there, you're likely to attract something other than a kitty (just ask many on this site who've found a big raccoon rather than a kitty in their shelter!). I use catnip and/or catnip toys. I sprinkle catnip on the ground outside the shelter, and a little more inside. I also put a new catnip toy inside to sweeten the deal a bit more. Just don't use a toy that's been used by another kitty - - - they'll likely smell the other kitty and assume the shelter's already "taken."

The biggest key is patience! Keep us posted on how it goes -- hopefully your kitty will soon realize how much you're trying to help!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is often best to start with a shelter that has an exit and entrance. Feral cats don't like to feel trapped. I always start with 2 holes and then when they are more secure, I cover one of the holes.

Catnip is a great to attract the feral kitty. I usually sprinkle a bit around the shelter leading to the inside. As kittychick kittychick mentioned, do not use to entice. Other critters will move in.

What are you using in the shelter? Some feral cats do not like straw. Mine hated it. Fortunately I had an electrical outlet near the shelter and was able to use an outdoor approved heat pad. You can also purchase microwave heat discs.

millieandmilo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was told by another feral cat caretaker to make my shelter out of a Styrofoam box with using straw as bedding, which I did. it is sitting on concrete with a piece of cardboard underneath it to protect it from absorbing the cold from the concrete floor. it is located in a covered area (roof and 3 sides) not far from my backdoor. I also feed her there and have put a play thing for her.
It is often best to start with a shelter that has an exit and entrance. Feral cats don't like to feel trapped. I always start with 2 holes and then when they are more secure, I cover one of the holes.

Catnip is a great to attract the feral kitty. I usually sprinkle a bit around the shelter leading to the inside. As kittychick kittychick mentioned, do not use to entice. Other critters will move in.

What are you using in the shelter? Some feral cats do not like straw. Mine hated it. Fortunately I had an electrical outlet near the shelter and was able to use an outdoor approved heat pad. You can also purchase microwave heat discs.
I am using straw. she's getting pretty attached to me. would putting something in there with my smell help?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How many holes do you have? If you only have one, she may not enter because she will feel trapped.

Yes, you could put something in there with your smell and see what happens.

Have you had her spayed yet? If not, she will have kittens before you know it. Please consider doing TNR on her if she is not spayed.

Thank you for helping her. I hope she will start to use the shelter soon.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also feed her there and have put a play thing for her.

I am using straw. she's getting pretty attached to me. would putting something in there with my smell help?
Beautiful thing you are doing XOXOOXX

If it's too close to where you feed her that could be a bit of an issue. It should be a little bit away from it. For some reason my ferals wouldn't use theirs either until I moved it away from their feeling station. 12+ feet or more. See if that works better.

If you can handle her, you can always trying picking her up and showing her it. One of my girls let me pick her up and I showed her a few times where it was until she finally went in. Then her sisters followed suit.

I hope this helps.

Edit to add - I also agree with the others two exits /entrance, one on the sides and one at the front.

millieandmilo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How many holes do you have? If you only have one, she may not enter because she will feel trapped.

Yes, you could put something in there with your smell and see what happens.

Have you had her spayed yet? If not, she will have kittens before you know it. Please consider doing TNR on her if she is not spayed.

Thank you for helping her. I hope she will start to use the shelter soon.
yes, the first thing I did was trap this cat, brought to the vet to be fixed and wait for the big gender reveal! I was SO happy I did that since it was a female. this morning her shelter had a wet spot near the corner of it that I think is urine. I'm afraid some dog came by and may have marked it. now she may never use it!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So happy she is spayed? Does the wet spot smell like urine? You can get an enzymatic cleaner and get rid of the odor. Do you have it in a protected spot so it is out of the elements?

I had to try several different shelters for my feral cats to like them. You might do a google image search on feral cat shelters and see if there is something else you can try. I have had decent luck with rubbermaid containers. Also if you are handy you could build her a shelter out of wood.

millieandmilo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So happy she is spayed? Does the wet spot smell like urine? You can get an enzymatic cleaner and get rid of the odor. Do you have it in a protected spot so it is out of the elements?

I had to try several different shelters for my feral cats to like them. You might do a google image search on feral cat shelters and see if there is something else you can try. I have had decent luck with rubbermaid containers. Also if you are handy you could build her a shelter out of wood.
yes, so happy she is spayed. I noticed the wet spot on the cardboard that is beneath her shelter. I have Googled shelters. the Styrofoam one was a shelter recommended and since I was in a hurry to find something, I went to the local pet store and got one that they ship fish in. it's real solid. I sure was hoping it would work. I'm in Louisiana, so rarely does it get extremely cold. I have plenty of pine straw that she may be used to. would that make a good insulator rather than the straw?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not familiar with pine straw. Yet if it comes from pine trees the sap might bother her. I know that some people use self warming heat pad. You can find them on Amazon.
You just have to be sure if it gets wet that you get to it quickly. Cats can't stay
warm if blankets get wet. Do you have the shelter in an area that is out of the elements? Like a covered porch? If not you might think of adding a roof to keep the rain out. I have used the lids of rubbermaid containers and attached with zip ties.

You are a saint for taking such good care of her.

millieandmilo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not familiar with pine straw. Yet if it comes from pine trees the sap might bother her. I know that some people use self warming heat pad. You can find them on Amazon.
You just have to be sure if it gets wet that you get to it quickly. Cats can't stay
warm if blankets get wet. Do you have the shelter in an area that is out of the elements? Like a covered porch? If not you might think of adding a roof to keep the rain out. I have used the lids of rubbermaid containers and attached with zip ties.

You are a saint for taking such good care of her.
thank you, but I wish I could do more (like bring her inside forever) but hubby WILL NOT allow it. :( The shelter is in a covered boat shed, enclosed on 3 sides plus a roof. when I say pine straw, I'm talking about pine needles. I never see sap on them. I may try it, but I've got several options to try now thanks to this site!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry your hubby will not allow the cat to come inside. Does he just not like cats? My DH was not a cat fan at all. We now have 6 and he loves them all! He just didn't know how to interact with cats.

Pine needles might work as long as they are completely dry. The boat shed sounds like a great place for a shelter. Could you put out a comfy blanket or two and see if she will curl up on them? Just making sure they are always dry?

millieandmilo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I also asked my vet to please clip the left ear during surgery so that if it ran off, someone would know that it had been sterilized. I was so worried that it was a female and was going to have kitties, I took her right away. I didn't even ask when I picked her up if she was already pregnant. I didn't want to know! she didn't look like it tho

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Clipping the ear was absolutely the right thing to do. 5 of my 6 cats have tipped ears!! So glad she can't get pregnant.

millieandmilo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Clipping the ear was absolutely the right thing to do. 5 of my 6 cats have tipped ears!! So glad she can't get pregnant.
yes, but I don't know how many people even know that the clipped ear means anything. I didn't know it until my sister told me that's what they do to sterilized ferals.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SO glad you got her spayed!!!!

And the ear clip (it's usually called an "ear tip") - - you're right that most people won't necessarily know what it stands for (although more and more do as more and more people learn about TNR, etc. - - many believe incorrectly that ear tipping is done only to feral kitties...many stray kitties end up with ear tips if they're rounded up when someone's trying to control the population). it's actually a relatively new concept in the grand scheme of things - - but the main reason (until everyone knows about ear tipping!) to have it done is that vets DO know what it stands for, as do rescue organizations. So even if someone traps or brings in a kitty with an ear tip inside and doesn't know what it means, if they take the kitty to a vet or a shelter, the vet will DEFINITELY know not to open him/her up for a surgery that's already been done and therefore totally unnecessary.

It's also possible that your kitty marked the box herself, particularly if she doesn't get yet that she can actually go in it and be comfy cozy. She just knows it's in her territory, and kitties do often mark all around their area to keep out other kitties. So it could be her way of saying "hey everyone - -- I don't know what this is yet, but it's MINE!"

You'd also mentioned she likes to play - - maybe you could play with her with a wand toy or something - - tossing it inside to tempt her in.

And I have to say - - I've never heard of anyone using pine needles? My only concerns would be that they've got a strong smell, which could turn her off. And they're also quite a bit more prickly than straw. If you can't get her in to try going in, you might do as shadowsrescue shadowsrescue mentioned - - put a blanket or some soft towels in (on top of the straw even!). You just need to check them for moisture as shadowsrescue shadowsrescue mentioned - - she won't get warm if she's on a wet blanket.

Hopefully soon you'll be able to report she's figured it out!

millieandmilo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
SO glad you got her spayed!!!!

And the ear clip (it's usually called an "ear tip") - - you're right that most people won't necessarily know what it stands for (although more and more do as more and more people learn about TNR, etc. - - many believe incorrectly that ear tipping is done only to feral kitties...many stray kitties end up with ear tips if they're rounded up when someone's trying to control the population). it's actually a relatively new concept in the grand scheme of things - - but the main reason (until everyone knows about ear tipping!) to have it done is that vets DO know what it stands for, as do rescue organizations. So even if someone traps or brings in a kitty with an ear tip inside and doesn't know what it means, if they take the kitty to a vet or a shelter, the vet will DEFINITELY know not to open him/her up for a surgery that's already been done and therefore totally unnecessary.

It's also possible that your kitty marked the box herself, particularly if she doesn't get yet that she can actually go in it and be comfy cozy. She just knows it's in her territory, and kitties do often mark all around their area to keep out other kitties. So it could be her way of saying "hey everyone - -- I don't know what this is yet, but it's MINE!"

You'd also mentioned she likes to play - - maybe you could play with her with a wand toy or something - - tossing it inside to tempt her in.

And I have to say - - I've never heard of anyone using pine needles? My only concerns would be that they've got a strong smell, which could turn her off. And they're also quite a bit more prickly than straw. If you can't get her in to try going in, you might do as shadowsrescue shadowsrescue mentioned - - put a blanket or some soft towels in (on top of the straw even!). You just need to check them for moisture as shadowsrescue shadowsrescue mentioned - - she won't get warm if she's on a wet blanket.

Hopefully soon you'll be able to report she's figured it out!
that's so funny that you mentioned the wand! I just came inside from doing exactly that. I took the lid off too while doing it. a couple of time she did go in through the hole after the toy. she also was sniffing the corner where I think it was marked and I promptly cleaned it! oh, no! I didn't know female cats could mark something and I can't figure out how. LOL! I don't know that i'll try the blankets; I'm a little concerned about keeping it dry, especially overnight in the Louisiana humidity

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
when I say pine straw, I'm talking about pine needles. I never see sap on them
We've got a feral cat we take care of who we named "Fluffer." In the summer Fluff loves to sleep on a thick bed of pine needles in our back yard underneath our hydrangeas.