home treating ear mites - olive oil, coconut oil?

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello, my cat and her litter have coffee ground in their ears and are scratching and mom has even bloody ears from scratching along with that coffee powder like sign of ear mites.
i have seen several youtube home remedies mentioning olive oil, coconut, and also baby mineral oil, but also today tea tree oil.
there are also some commercial products but i am cautious as i know they will lick it.
i alrady gave mom cat olive oil and coconut, week ago and now that coffee powder is greasy in her ears (i thought it will fall off)
I felt guilty because I used syringe with the oil and she was very painful and i was scared that the pressure from it while shooting oil could make damage to her ear canal omg, I hope it didn;t) i didn't put any sharp sticks there just cotton clothes, but she didint let me to clean it.
someone said that coconut oil is not recommended as it can dry out and stay in ear, so olive oil is better (someone was even against it as it can develope some more trouble, but I can't afford to go to veterinarian unfortunately)
today i saw someone treating it with tea tree oil but I am afraid it can be painful for them and also bad if they lick it.
also, now I am thinking to give her litter of 5 kittens all olive oil in their ears, but I also have pumpkin seed oil wich is brownish.

can you let me know what I can do to decrease scratching of their ears and remove mites from their ears at home? thanks

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whatever you do do NOT use tea tree oil. It is toxic to cats and can lead to life threatening complications. Yes, you will see people using it online but a lot of people make bad choices and still post them online.

If the problem is that bad, I would see a vet. Home remedies are great when the work and are safe but vet remedies are usually more effective and safer. I have no problem with known home remedies or otc treatments but it sounds like you've already tried a few and with no luck. At this point, you are getting into riskier options or running the risk or making it worse or it being a long lasting issue. I know that's not probably what you want to hear but I know from my own experiences it's better to just see the vet and have it fixed in a week then keep trying home remedies that just prolong the problem or make it worse. Just please, dont use tea tree oil and be very cautious with oils and cats in general. Their system doesn't process oils like ours does and they do have different sensitivities.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you but i am not able to take them to the vet. they live outside in a garden shed. i am looking for home based remedies or some products i can buy in a shop.