Home Remedy Or Otc Remedy For Upper Respiratory Symptoms

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my buddy, Shorty, has been under the care of his vet since last Weds for a blocked urethra. Yesterday we had a little relapse and he was back in. He had also developed a sneeze. They confirmed he was not blocking again and were able to drain his bladder. They sent us home with more medicine.

I pressed the vet for some extra meds for his upper respiratory. She said he has already had an antibiotic plus steroids that should help. She thinks it's a virus and said it's basically a waiting game. She is more concerned about that blockage and seeing him through that but my heart is breaking for him. He is sneezy and wheezy and sounds so miserable and congested. Are there any meds i can give him to help the symptoms? He's already suffering enough. :(

Has anyone ever used one of those blue snot suckers successfully on a cat?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd be concerned about anything you give him crossing with whatever he is already on. What you can do is put him in a bathroom with a steamy shower or tub running.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't give any OTC meds. He is already on meds and many of them work very differently on cats. The old time tested thing done for children with bad colds would be the best thing. Get the bathroom real steamy and sit in the bathroom with him for 15 or 20 minutes. That will usually give relief for awhile and you can do that as often as necessary to help him feel better.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I don't know about that, but have you tried putting him in a bathroom with a steamy shower, 10-12 minutes a couple times a day? The warm steam will help his airways.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Y'all are probably right. I guess I'm just feeling desperate. I will try the shower. Is it crazy to make a hot steamy cup of mint tea to put next to him as well? Im not sure how he will react to being in the bathroom with the shower on.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Y'all are probably right. I guess I'm just feeling desperate. I will try the shower. Is it crazy to make a hot steamy cup of mint tea to put next to him as well? Im not sure how he will react to being in the bathroom with the shower on.
I'd make catnip tea.... Seriously. Catnip in a loose tea strainer. It's technically a type of mint and your cat would probably be more likely to breath in the steam.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd make catnip tea.... Seriously. Catnip in a loose tea strainer. It's technically a type of mint and your cat would probably be more likely to breath in the steam.

I'm so doing this.

Update: He is LOVING the bathroom. He's purring and stretching his paws out with the kneading motion. I would have never imagined he'd feel comfortable around a running shower.