Home made cat food for early stage kidney disease.

flame1412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my kitty was recently diagnosed with " likely early kidney disease " buy this new test available called SDMA. I'm still in shock digesting this diagnosis. His creatinine is in the normal range but increased significantly since last year. His vet has taken the "lets monitor and repeat" for 4 months approach. This approach doesn't sit well with me. I need to make changes with is diet before levels get really out of hand. I've googled to death this subject and can't find any home cooked cat food recipes appropriate for kidney disease. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been doing research into this since my cat was diagnosed at the beginning of the year.

So commercial cat food for kidney disease has two main differences from "normal" cat food: phosphorous and protein content. They're low phosphorous (most are 0.4 to 0.7% dry weight, some are up to 0.9%) and low protein.

Part of the issue with failing kidneys is they can't balance out the ions (calcium, potassium, phosphorous) as well, and with phosphorous especially they have an issue with eliminating excess. (With potassium it's the opposite and they pee out too much, but that's mainly a problem in the later stages.) For me, this is the most important nutrient consideration.

I don't follow the "low protein" recommendation. Most brands make them low protein by using more carbohydrates (usually grains), and it seems like low protein is really only helpful for cats with end stage kidney failure. Switching to low protein too early can cause protein deficiency that can exacerbate the problem.

I have some recipes @mschauer helped me with, with her recipe nutrient analysis tool, I can email them to you (PM me an address) or you can ask her to help you figure out a recipe using whatever meat and supplements you're planning on using.

Last edited:

katycatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm about to make a tumeric paste. Golden milk I think is what they call it. It's superstore be very beneficial for everyone, pets and people. Check it out

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Geez I'd be really hesitant making any homemade recipe food for renal insufficiency cats.I had 3 in my life .My Maxwell was diagnosed stage 2 (iris ) at 10 years old & ate wellness chicken or turkey pate for 5 yrs 11 months.His renal numbers never changed a bit.

You do need a vet that is proactive for you though as to sit back & watch the numbers climb is not a vet that I would want personally.Did they stage your kitty in Iris?

Good luck finding a very balanced complete homemade diet that you can see theses kitties who consumed it kept their renal numbers at bay for many yrs.That is key.Not just a recipe.But did it help & for how long.

Hugs to the babe.C.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I want to add these links for custom pet diets:

https://www.petdiets.com/

https://secure.balanceit.com/#

I'm not sure if these are home cooked diets or made like regular dry food but with custom ingredients but you can contact the company to find out.

I know the company of the first link is co-founded by a well known board certified vet nutritionist who previously worked at a vet hospital here. From the web site it looks like you can do an initial consult to come up with a potential diet. Your pet's medical records may be needed and your vet may be contacted as well. Always keep your vet in the loop if trying something new or unsusual.

Have you seen the Feline CRF web site? http://www.felinecrf.org/ There's a section there about food and commerical brands you can feed.