Home-Cooked Cat Food Poops?

dinaxcheng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have heard so much about raw food stool and what to expect, but I feel like cooked would be a little different. I know my kitty visually has the same type of poop as raw, but generally more soft (not loose i dont think). Would love to learn more about this to figure out the norm!

Context - he eats cooked turkey with a pinch of psyllium :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, welcome!
Can I ask just for clarification, do you add any other supplements?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dinaxcheng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, welcome!
Can I ask just for clarification, do you add any other supplements?
To the food? Yes, complete and balanced with all the vitamins etc! Sorry should've been clearer. We get our supplement blend through JustFoodForDogs Custom diet.

Both kitties also get Felix's flora for general gut health since they are older :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

dinaxcheng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm wondering, if your vet is happy with their health otherwise, to maybe try a different pre/probiotic?
Note; photos of cat poop included below.

This article has a chart a little further down the page, which type do your cats have?
Guide to Types of Cat Poop: What the Color & Consistency Mean

Here's another version;
https://www.proplanveterinarydiets....PPPVD-Fecal-Scoring-Chart-UPDATE-EN-FINAL.pdf
Thank you! Do you have any suggestions for a good pre/probiotic?

Vet is generally really happy with their health! Both are considered "pre-renal" but only because their creatinine is 2.6. Everything else is within normal range in bloodwork and urinalysis. Since learning this I am trying to log their behavior, etc just in case!

Based off the charts (specifically the purina) I would say 2 or 3. They always formed logs, but in my effort to understand their stools I do poke them with a q-tip and they are soft but still generally keep their form. I could also be overthinking terminology (firm, pliable, loose etc) so I apologize if all this is just me being crazy!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since learning this I am trying to log their behavior, etc just in case!
This is so smart!

I like S. Boulardii for my 8 year old orange boy Captain. His "output" was just fine for a long while after we adopted him about a year ago, but then he started to have occasions of soft to too-soft poops (partly due to dental issues and partly due to changes in diet, I guess ... ?) but this one has him back to normal, almost 100% of the time now. He had dental surgery in October, got really finicky after, but I found foods he liked/would eat so I could get the supplement into him. Just lately he's s-l-o-w-l-y starting to let me feed him other things like bonito flakes, that he used to love :)

Last edited:

dinaxcheng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have used s. bouldarii on occasion for one of my kitties when we were transitioning foods and it does wonders even at just a pinch! I guess if they are still "soft" when poking maybe its not so normal/healthy even if they are formed? I have considered switching to nexabiotic since it has SB, so maybe I will try it :)

He had dental surgery in October, got really finicky after, but I found foods he liked/would eat so I could get the supplement into him.
I had the same thing happen to one of my kitties back in June, which prompted a fun food-changing frenzy, but we're back on track now (with the help of SB too!)