Home care for diarrhea?

Luthien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello to all and please allow me to explain the situation first. My city is currently under lockdown due to COVID-19, there is no public transport, and I don’t have a car. There is no way for me to get to the very few vet clinics that have decided to continue operations during the quarantine period and home visits are also not possible. I’ve been trying to get a hold of several vets to see about a possible phone consultation but the lines are down :((

That having been said, my neutered male cat of one year and eight months old had diarrhea today. It wasn’t liquid yet, more like soft, thick blobs that were yellowish-brown in color; definitely lacking shape and paler than his usual output. He went in his litter box (I try to sneak a peek at his fresh poop whenever I can— cat mom life lol) and he didn’t seem to be in any pain during. He is also being his usual active self and drinking water, there are no changes to his behavior other than the diarrhea.

I suspect that it is his food. I usually feed him three 80g cans of wet food a day and one cup of dry food to munch on every 24 hours, but the only pet food supplier that still does deliveries is also short on stock (no word yet on when they’ll resupply). They don’t have much of a selection of wet food left that I trust and they also ran out of Acana Wild Prairie. So I ordered Halo Holistic Healthy Weight Chicken and Chicken Liver.

I was unable to slowly transition him to the Halo because I didn’t realize we were almost out of Acana (this pandemic has got me so anxious and scatterbrained). I fed him one cup of the Halo today and a few hours later— boom, diarrhea.

My questions (in the event that I really cannot get a hold of any vets on the phone):

1) I still have roughly three week’s supply of wet food left, but the future is very unpredictable at this point and I really would like to stretch out his rations by supplementing with dry. Is there any way I can still reintroduce the Halo or should I just forget it altogether?

2) He has only had diarrhea once today. Is there anything I should be doing for him now?

3) What can I do at home if his diarrhea gets worse?

4) Is it possible that it’s not the food that’s the problem? He is a fully indoor cat and updated on his vaccines, but not his deworming— we had an appointment for that but it was cancelled when the lockdown took effect. I did try to look closely at the poop and I didn’t see any worms.

5) If it’s worms or parasites that’s the problem, is there any way to be able to tell without a vet? And what should I do if that’s the case?

Sorry for the very long post and so many questions. Thank you for reading and I hope that everyone and their loved ones are staying safe and healthy!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can’t be sure about parasites but you can order some worm medications online still. I know supplies are hard to find because I have the same problem. Chewy, Petco, Petsmart, might have your usual food. Tractor supply too. Obviously a vet check is always best so keep trying to get a vet via phone or online. Many have websites. The quick change of food could be the problem. A rapid change can do it or the food itself. Hard to know but kitty must eat. Some use plain puréed pumpkin if the stool gets really loose. Making sure kitty stays hydrated is top priority right now. Monitoring everything you mentioned about his health and watching for lethargy or symptoms is important. You could try other goods you can find but maybe he will get used to the Halo. Vomiting worse stool , pain etc. mark a need to take other actions. Please do post back and keep updating here. One semi loose stool doesn’t sound too bad but you are a great cat mom to be right on top of this! There are other tips that can be used if he gets worse but do keep trying to contact a vet because that is always the best option. If you can just get a stool sample to the vet, they can check for parasites without seeing kitty. Get instructions from them about how to get the sample to them without contamination. Needs to be a fairly fresh sample. Hang in there! You’re not alone on needing info during lockdown! Also, the search for supplies! I feed a Clowder and a couple of sick kitties so everyone here understands. :alright:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be the food change. Acana has some probiotics in it that helps shaping the stool. If you can find another dry food that has probiotics that might help. (I'm not familiar with Halo.)

If you can get your hands on Fortiflora that might help too. It helps with diarrhea/loose stool, also has some other ingredients to support the immune system and to get a cat eat. It's expensive but good to keep a couple at home for the emergencies. I don't buy the full box. The vet clinics here in Turkey sell individual pieces. If the shipping is still working, maybe some vet clinics sell necessities?

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't help medically however I can help in diet. Unsweetened pumpkin can help with stools, if you're comfortable using a premix and doing homecooked that would be extremely beneficial as well.
Dry food isn't good for them and will most likely do more harm as your cat has diarrhea, and is losing a lot of liquids through his stools; therefore requiring more mositure rather than the drying. It's easy to get a premix, they are pretty cheap and high quality and you're unlikely to run out, you just need to order a kitchen scale that reads grams oz and lbs to weigh the premix and meat & portion it. That way you also don't have to rely in the wetfood manufacturer and get a higher quality outcome ontop of saving money in the longrun as well. EZ complete works with cooked and raw, u-stew is for cooked, etc. here's a list of premixes, Home-Cooked Cat Food Resources

Most of them have probiotics to help with digestion as far as I'm aware. I have a video explaining how I personally use one as well if you want me to send it over. Sorry I can't be much helo with info regarding with the worms or give medical advice, but I do like to solve things naturally whenever possible, diet being the key step in that regard!!! Also when soecter used to have diarrhea, I found boiling white meat chicken worked in firming stools, chicken skin is said to firm but I've had mixed results with that.