Home Again microchipping?

crumbandharvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As always, the DB says I'm being crazy and over indulgent. Maybe I am. 

We're in TN for the week with the boys, visiting my parents. Their local vet is running a $15 microchipping special with the Home Again chip, plus the $16.99 one time activation fee. The reviews online are positive for the chip, but encourage you to not enroll in the yearly fee plan, which they sometimes don't advertise as optional (although the vet very clearly said one time, good for them!). Has anyone gotten this chip before, or know any pros and cons?

DB is also being a pain in the butt about this, saying that's "a dog thing" and people who find cats don't have scanners at their houses, don't usually bring them to shelters, and would just keep them if they get lost. 
 I am a proponent of why not, just in case... especially in NYC, where animal control is a bit more active than in more rural areas. Has anyone ever had a cat actually returned due to the microchip? I need more fodder for my argument than "shut up I'm getting this done!"

Crumb also needs his 1 year old followup rabies and combination vaccine, which are also cheaper here than back in NY... so we'll probably get that done too. I don't intend to get Crumb vaccinated beyond this year, since he had 2 rounds of kitten in the shelter before we got him.`

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both my boys have Home Again microchip and I have not decided yet if I want to go ahead and pay for the yearly fee after the 1st year of enhanced coverage is over. It's not a whole lot but I figured that the fee covers the poison control fee, if we ever have to call them and the poison control fee is much more than what Home Alone charges.

When I found Casper in my yard a few weeks ago (posted on stray and feral message board), the first thing I did was take him to the vet to check for microchips. Later when I took him to the rescue designated vet, they did another scan on him. If the animal control had taken him, in case I refused to foster him, then the Animal Warden would have scanned him too. If Casper's owners are missing him now, he cannot go back home since I do not know where his home is. He definitely belonged to someone. If he was abandoned - even then we would know that it was ok for him to be adopted out to people who deserve him.

evakatharina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All my pets have the Home Again chip.  Chipping is totally worth it for all pets!  If any one of them escaped, I know I would feel absolutely HORRIBLE not having spent the $30-50 those things seem to generally cost.  A small price to pay for a greatly increased chance of an escaped pet returning to me.

The yearly Home Again membership is a total waste of money.  But get the chip!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Microchips are required by law in some states over here and most breeders even in other states chip their cats, along with all shelters.  We don't have yearly fees here.

I know of many, many stories of cats being returned because of their microchip, needless to say all mine are done as are all kittens bred here

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 4 cats and both dogs are all chipped.  It's worth the money to me; If for nothing else my peace of mind. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are all chipped and as of this year, it is a legal requirement for both cats and dogs. I have twice been able to find the owner of a lost pet due to a microchip, and lately was not able to when I found an unchipped animal. Also, if an accident happens and an animal is killed on the road, the finders have to inform animal control who will collect it and scan it, so that at least the owner knows what has happened. In my view, not knowing is always the worst thing.

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mia has a Home Again chip. They actually put it in at the shelter and activated it too. It was part of the adoption fee.

My dog Peaches, a few years ago was found due to a chip after 9 months of being missing. I couldnt believe it.  :)