Holy terror

mountainmom08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 5 month old kitten is a terror on 4 paws. Into everything, eats everything and the soft paws are such a blessing. We took him for a walk yesterday, he gets to play outside in the mornings (just in our back yard) he has a garage he can play in full off stuff. Plus I have 3 children that are always playing with him. Some how he still complains about boredom and always has food in his bowl and is always looking for the next meal. Is this typical of this age? And 2 dogs and a ferret to play with. Plenty of toys and high spots to hang around in. All I ask of him is to stay off the counter and table.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, normal, especially for a kitten without a playmate (by that I mean another kitten to play with). Sorry, but they really are little balls of energy and often don't slow down till they are at least 12 to 18 months.  You'll look back on this time with some fondness though, believe it or not.

Do you play with him using interactive toys often? That might calm him some.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely typical. At that age, they are really feeling their oats! Or, well, their kibble, I suppose, since oats wouldn't taste particularly good to a cat.

He may always be a smart, inquisitive, generally playful cat, but he'll settle down a little as he gets older. Just give him plenty to think about and plenty to do, and he should be fine. If he is the sort of cat who likes to figure things out, perhaps he'd enjoy learning to do tricks. And your kids would probably enjoy teaching him.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's so normal!!  My cat was a terror on 4 legs at that age!!  Welcome to the wonderful world of kittenhood.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
He's so normal!!  My cat was a terror on 4 legs at that age!!  Welcome to the wonderful world of kittenhood.

Seconded. Enjoy it while it lasts and just try to minimize the things he can electrocute / drown / impale / cut himself with in the mean time and put all breakable precious things away for a year or so.  My boy's just settling down at 2 1/2, and used to have a terrifying liking for electric cables at that age so I had to unplug everything when I wasn't in a room.  And definitely keep him as busy as possible with games and training. The kids can see if he'll play fetch, or hide and seek around doors and rooms taking turns to follow each other about. Plenty running to tire all of them at the same time if you're lucky:)