Hoarse Voice

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody, I just joined after spending hours reading this forum. What a great community and thank you for accepting me here. I have a question about a stray cat I just took in. Well, two questions really. The first is can a cat get a hoarse voice from meowing a lot? I had to put her in a carrier to drive her home and she meowed the entire time. (loudly), and that evening she kinda lost her voice. The second question is she is skin and bones all except for her tummy is huge. It sticks out on both sides. Could that be from her starving? I think about the little kids I see in TV that are so skinny with protruding tummies. She is very friendly and affectionate. She seems to feel fine and has explored the house and already found a little spot in the bathroom for her sleeping spot. She had torn up a box into little pieces to sleep on, so I gave her a soft blanket instead. She seems to like that! Anyway, I'm going to take a picture of her from above so you can see what I'm talking about. I'll be taking her to the vet asap - end of the week. Thanks again for having me here!

20210818_081733.jpg

20210817_175640.jpg

20210818_081639.jpg

BigLazyBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure about the hoarse voice but we got a kitten years ago that came from a farm, and although it wasn't as thin as the one you have, it has a similar sort of extended belly. It turned out he had worms, so maybe that might be something to consider here?

She looks beautiful though ❤

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Worms are definitely a possibility, but she also might be pregnant. Are her teats large and pink, possibly with little areas around them that have no hair? She seems young, but old enough to have a litter. The vet will be able to tell for sure.

You can watch to see if there are any kittens kicking inside her when she's lying down quietly.

I'm no expert on this--you might put a thread up on the "Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care" forum. People more knowledgeable than I regularly post there.

I suppose cats can get hoarse from calling loudly for some time. She'll probably be all right in a day or so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about the hoarse voice but we got a kitten years ago that came from a farm, and although it wasn't as thin as the one you have, it has a similar sort of extended belly. It turned out he had worms, so maybe that might be something to consider here?

She looks beautiful though ❤
Thank you! I'm hoping it's something that can be treated and nothing serious.

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Worms are definitely a possibility, but she also might be pregnant. Are her teats large and pink, possibly with little areas around them that have no hair? She seems young, but old enough to have a litter. The vet will be able to tell for sure.

You can watch to see if there are any kittens kicking inside her when she's lying down quietly.

I'm no expert on this--you might put a thread up on the "Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care" forum. People more knowledgeable than I regularly post there.

I suppose cats can get hoarse from calling loudly for some time. She'll probably be all right in a day or so.
Wow I hope she's not pregnant. I did consider that but then I felt her tummy and don't feel any movement. And she seems so young. I don't know anything about pregnant cats though. I just looked and all her teats are pink and no hair around them. I can clearly see them.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site and thank you for saving this adorable little kitten. She reminds me of Fiona who was so happy to have been rescued and given a bed and safe place to live.

Hoarseness can come from excessive vocalization. Other reasons can be an upper respiratory infection, although you might see other signs of that and since you are going to the vet he can check for those and other reasons.

When I rescued Jamie, he was an emaciated little boy with a huge tummy and sides that bulged out from worms. Hopefully it is that and the vet can treat her and get rid of them.

Young females can get pregnant, but let's hope it is not that. Please let us know what you find out.

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys for your replies. I couldn't stand it anymore and took her to the vet as an emergency visit. I was worried about her and was scared to wait anymore. Turns out she lost her voice from overuse and she is pregnant. Dr said she's about halfway to delivery day. He said I could treat her for ticks and fleas but cannot deworm her until after the kittens are born. I had convinced myself it was not kittens lol. SoooThankful I have her so that I can give her the care and love she deserves. Now I need to read and learn because I have no idea about pregnant cats!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Please remember that you can keep coming here and posting all your questions in whichever forum they apply. There are a lot of really great people who are members who will try their best to help you. Please keep us in the loop. What a lucky little girl to have come across you!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will probably eat like crazy because she's eating for two, or three, or four, well, you know. Kitten food is good for meeting the needs of a pregnant cat, and some KMR wouldn't hurt, to give her extra calcium to make those little kitten bones.

She and you will do just fine. Follow the suggestions available at the kitten care section.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys for your replies. I couldn't stand it anymore and took her to the vet as an emergency visit. I was worried about her and was scared to wait anymore. Turns out she lost her voice from overuse and she is pregnant. Dr said she's about halfway to delivery day. He said I could treat her for ticks and fleas but cannot deworm her until after the kittens are born. I had convinced myself it was not kittens lol. SoooThankful I have her so that I can give her the care and love she deserves. Now I need to read and learn because I have no idea about pregnant cats!
WOW good luck with this.

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please remember that you can keep coming here and posting all your questions in whichever forum they apply. There are a lot of really great people who are members who will try their best to help you. Please keep us in the loop. What a lucky little girl to have come across you!
Thank you! I'll probably live in the pregnancy and kitten forum.

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She will probably eat like crazy because she's eating for two, or three, or four, well, you know. Kitten food is good for meeting the needs of a pregnant cat, and some KMR wouldn't hurt, to give her extra calcium to make those little kitten bones.

She and you will do just fine. Follow the suggestions available at the kitten care section.
I went and bought some kitten food and she loves it! Today I'll see if I can find KMR. She is definitely eating a lot. Also sleeping a lot. Oh, and her voice is getting a lot better. This little girl loves to talk lol

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, what a lucky girl! I'm so glad she found you.

We have lots of articles about how to take care of pregnant cats and new born kittens. I suggest you read as much as you can so you'll be prepared when labor starts. Most deliveries are fairly straight forward, but it's a good idea to know what problems might occur, just in case.

You might have to supplement feed the kittens, so have plenty of KMR and feeding bottles ready. Also, some kitchen scales are really useful so you can keep a daily record of the kittens weight.

Pregnant Cats And Kittens Articles

Keep us posted!

:goodluck: