Hoarding 77 Cats.. Am I Wrong To Help?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you are overwhelmed. My support goes out to you. I am short on time as I am doing rescues myself and caring for them takes every minute. I have to tell you that it always hurts to let a kitty go. You always wonder if the new person will give them as much love as you do. I bet your Mom worries about that. I try to alleviate that worry by thoroughly checking out any shelter or adopting home I deal with. I find out the shelter's adopting rules and policies ( most are very careful who they release animals to) and if it is an individual I make them sign a contract with me saying that they will get the kitty all immunizations, spay/ neuter, will not sell or give the cat to anyone else, will return the cat to me if there is an issue, will follow all county and state regulations in relation to the proper care, feeding and hygiene of the cat , will give me weekly updates the first six weeks, will allow me to physically come and check on the cat if I feel it is needed, will give me their vet contact info and permission to their vet to provide me with a reference as well as proof that they follow through on the health care of the cat etc. etc.. Whatever you need to put into the contract to reassure your Mom that the kitty will be okay. If it is reasonable a cat lover will not object. As to the cost of food and litter, call the companies that you buy from. Often they will provide coupons for their products to help in a situation like yours. Above all, don't give up. I have found wonderful homes for 34 cats and kittens in the past few months. I am still working on it but I have made a lot of progress. Networking is how you do it. Call everyone. Text everyone. Email everyone. Ask everyone you meet if they know anyone who wants a kitty. I had an event where I had to call police recently. Before they left I asked the officers if they wanted a cat or knew anyone who did. You will be surprised how often someone knows someone who wants a kitty or maybe lost a kitty. If a child lost a kitty your Mom might sympathize and want to help! You can only spread yourself so far. Your love is unlimited but your time to give each kitty attention is limited. Finding someone who can give more than you can will be good for the kitty. You and your Mom are great for loving so much. That is a good thing! Keep going! Don't give up. Help is out there.