HOA demanding I stop feeding cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cats live near my house at this point. There are a bunch of others over the wall. Not sure if those people have outdoor cats or what.

I tried emailing bestfriends in Los Angeles since that’s the closest to me. This was their response:

“Unfortunately due to an injunction that prohibits the City of Los Angeles or its contracted service providers from providing information or resources in support of feral, stray, community or un-owned cat management, this location is strictly prohibited from responding to any inquiries of this type. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes.”

A local shelter said they could take the kittens if socialized but that was the only help they could provide. I also wrote to a couple people on alleycatallies but no response. There were only a few names given in my area.

No we can’t leave our garage open and I’m sure if the HOA saw cats coming from our garage they will cite us for having “pets off the leash”.

There are really no resources for stray cats or ferals in my area in California.

I might try a paid animal trapper if they have some method other than leaving out traps. If I can get her inside I will keep her for a while and socialize babies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unfortunately due to an injunction that prohibits the City of Los Angeles or its contracted service providers from providing information or resources in support of feral, stray, community or un-owned cat management, this location is strictly prohibited from responding to any inquiries of this type. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes.”
@tarasgirl, do you have any information that might shed some light on this? Why can't they at least provide information?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@tarasgirl, do you have any information that might shed some light on this? Why can't they at least provide information?
The City of Los Angeles took comments recently about a proposed Citywide Cat Program aimed at controlling the number of feral/free-roaming cats. I of course sent them my thoughts. I have not heard back except to be informed that my comment had been received by Jan Rebstock, the liason person for the City regarding this program. There was mention of areas that were "sensitive" where advocates could not operate. Interested parties should do searches on this topic and contact person using their computer's search engine and looking at Animals 24-7 online will also yield information which may be helpful.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're claiming that some areas are "environmentally sensitive" because of "native species" being impacted by the cats' presence, which is malarkey but they're the authorities so...:salute: Cats are a supremely successful ADAPTIVE species and they benefit communities where they perform rodent control, but anyway...

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
They're claiming that some areas are "environmentally sensitive" because of "native species" being impacted by the cats' presence, which is malarkey but they're the authorities so...:salute: Cats are a supremely successful ADAPTIVE species and they benefit communities where they perform rodent control, but anyway...
Native species are impacted by stray cats though. In Australia they actually developed a trap that sprays the ferals with a poison gel (called grooming traps) for that exact reason. Not that I condone poisoning animals.

Maybe it's not as big an issue in the US but feral cats do impact wildlife especially endangered species.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Native species are impacted by stray cats though. In Australia they actually developed a trap that sprays the ferals with a poison gel (called grooming traps) for that exact reason. Not that I condone poisoning animals.

Maybe it's not as big an issue in the US but feral cats do impact wildlife especially endangered species.
Who killed 2.9 billion birds since 1970? Not cats, says a look through the glass!
The developers of that trap, and all using it, should receive capital punishment. *WITH NO APOLOGY*.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
M milktea maybe these other locations would be better situated to help you.

www.bestfriends.org and they have headquarters in Kanab, Utah, with additional presence in New York City, and Atlanta, Georgia. They have facebook presence for all of those.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
M milktea maybe these other locations would be better situated to help you.

www.bestfriends.org and they have headquarters in Kanab, Utah, with additional presence in New York City, and Atlanta, Georgia. They have facebook presence for all of those.
Even though the Los Angeles branch is closest to me? I live in California.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
If your bushes are too sparse, supplement the with real or faux foliage. We’re literally purchasing faux foliage to place on the sides of our house to hide shelters from the HOA.

Shelters, feeding stations, and traps can also be hidden in storage benches like this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0JO5MG/?tag=thecatsite

Just cut out a small 6” hole or two for entry/exit.

Professional trappers don’t do anything us volunteer trappers don’t, other than deal with a variety of species. I actually trap a variety of species, and there’s very little difference. Most folks here have *way* more knowledge of tricks to trap cats than any of 20+ pro trappers I’ve ever talked to.

You can use a carrier, crate, or fishing net pole if you do it in the middle of the night.

You can also set a trap in your garage. Crack it the garage door (it’s only temporary so HOA shouldn’t get too bent out of shape), and set the trap inside. You could also just trap kitty in your garage too to start with.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you are being given a hard time by the HOA. You have been given some good ideas by others. If you think it would help, maybe still consider contacting a lawyer. You can do a Google search for pro bono lawyer and find some options for free or low cost help. The American Bar Association has a web page about this. If you live near a college that has a law school, sometimes there is help there from students who are looking for real-life experience.

Thank you so much for trying to help these cats.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so awful. I swear to God I just don't understand WHY some people are like this.

I would encourage you to speak to a lawyer just to be certain but, alas, I'm afraid your HOA has every right to make the demands they're making. An attorney might be able to negotiate an amicable resolution though--some conditions under which you could continue to feed the cats. What is the penalty if you don't comply? My understanding is that the worst they can do is fine you. They certainly can't kick you out of a home you own.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd find a stealth way to keep feeding them, and to hell with the :censored::censored: HOA.

I really hope you get the pregnant cat inside.

Let me also say that I have a TON of admiration and respect for you.

Thank you for taking care of those cats.

You're my hero!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I would simply feed the cats in the back. Seems reasonable. Some fencing may also help. Many HOAs incorporate state & city/county ordinance into the "rules".
This is from California State Code :
▶ It is unlawful for any person to "purposely or knowingly, in any manner, provide access to food, feed or bait to any wild animal, including, but not limited to, coyotes, deer, squirrels, feral cats, foxes, raccoons, skunks, waterfowl, birds or beavers."

Be glad you are only dealing with HOA and not the city/county code enforcement.
Best wishes ...😏👍

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

In truth, cats were created to eat mostly rodents, which is what they do when they are able. But the rodents, as well as the birds, they catch are almost always the slow-moving and/or unaware: the old, the weak, the sick. Cats actually do these species well by ensuring that the strong survive. It may not appeal to our emotions, but when you study how everything in nature fits into one whole pattern, you see that this makes perfect sense. It is the same reason why mother cats will abandon kittens who are sick, weak, and not likely to survive, and why human babies with extreme kinds of problems do not survive on their own. The Creator, or if you prefer, Nature, does not make mistakes.