Hitchhiker's Guide

gargoyle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't Panic!

The movie comes out April 29th here in the States. I read the book eons ago (i.e., college) and in watching the trailer, realized I probably didn't remember a bunch of stuff. Time to reread Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, thank you for the heads up!!!! I love all of Adams' stuff -- we lost him too young! I just hope the movie lives up to the book.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gargoyle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you watched the trailer? It looks promising, although I'm trying not to get too excited, just in case they don't do it justice.

And I now realize my choice of smiley was rather appropriate (although entirely unintentional
)

gargoyle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Official website is here.

I must say, I like who they've chosen for Arthur Dent but when I first saw Sam Rockwell as Zaphod Breeblebox (hope I spelled that right), I thought "How did they get Richard Branson to take this role?"

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for that!! I agree, it is promising -- I'm sitting here grinning the same silly grin that always accompanies the books.

(BTW Beeblebrox -- I think).

mrsd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gargoyle

And I now realize my choice of smiley was rather appropriate (although entirely unintentional
)

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE the Hitchhiker's Guide and will definitely go see it. The BBC series was shown on public TV in Chicago years ago and I watched all of that way back when. It was also put out as a radio show. We have all 5 books of the 3 book trilogy (yes, humor in that), and also have a leather bound book of the first 4 (came out before the last book was published).

It's a cult. I like to find other cult members by making obscure statements in meetings like "always bring your towel", and when asked for an answer, simply respond "42". Those that know the series know the relevance. My husband is all excited because the movie comes out this year when he is *drumroll* 42 years old.

I can't wait!

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Woo great, it looks good to me
I used to listen to that on the radio, read the book, and maybe saw the tv version but if I did I dont remember it.

gargoyle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

My husband is all excited because the movie comes out this year when he is *drumroll* 42 years old.
*gasp* Me too! I didn't even think of that! I am now doing the Happy Chair Dance

I started rereading the book yesterday afternoon and I was right - I remember squat
One bit that has stuck with me through the years is the one about the lorry driver who is constantly under a cloud of rain. I'm looking forward to that section

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the omnibus edition, with all of the "Hitchhiker" books in it. Guess that I'd better dig it out and reread it.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gargoyle

*gasp* Me too! I didn't even think of that! I am now doing the Happy Chair Dance

I started rereading the book yesterday afternoon and I was right - I remember squat
One bit that has stuck with me through the years is the one about the lorry driver who is constantly under a cloud of rain. I'm looking forward to that section
My husband is dancing right with you!!
He can quote half the book.

Forgot about the lorry driver! I'm going to have to get out the books are reread them. And how about the never ending party on the floating planet? And those creatures who are so stupid that they think if they can't see you, you can't see them. And the great update to the Hitchhiker's Guide for Earth: changed from "harmless" to "mostly harmless".

Don't panic and always remember your towel!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Remembered it! The ravenous bug-bladder beasts of Traal!! (the ones that are so stupid that if they can't see you, they think you can't see them)......

gargoyle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I finished Hitchhiker's Guide last night (it's actually fairly short) and I was right - I remembered next to nothing
Not the Volgons and their poetry, not the Heart of Gold, not the mice, etc., etc., etc. :p To be fair to myself, though, it has been about 20 years (eek!) since I've read the books.

Up next: The Restuarant At The End Of The Universe