Hissing at his returned sister

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve posted elsewhere about my indoor cat Navi who was displaced outside for 26 days. So relieved she’s finally back home. But her brother Link is not so happy. He has been hissing at her and I’m pretty sure she just smells differently. He also liked being the only cat, but I’m not sure that’s something he’s really aware of. I adopted them as bonded rescues at 6 months old (now almost 5 yrs) and while they’ve had their squabbles, they often cuddle together and groom each other. Link’s hisses are pretty benign, almost silent and he seems to be tolerating Navi more. But I’m wondering if they’ll ever have the same close relationship.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The hissing is natural, Navi has all these strange smells that Link doesn't recognize. Try scent swopping, rub Link with a towel then rub Navi with it so that he will smell of Link.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It'll take some time for the strange smells to go away. You may need to keep the cats separate for now and then do a slow re-introdcution. Try the tips here: How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Thanks! That’s a great article. Fortunately there hasn’t been any fighting and separation at this point isn’t going to be practical. But I did one scent swap and will continue that. I feel kind of bad for Link because while Navi was gone he was getting all the cuddles. But Navi has taken over my lap and is extra clingy, which is actually new behavior for her. Makes me realize she really is glad to be home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the scent swap helped. Plus the outside smells might be disappearing. Not cuddling together yet but at least close. That’s Link behind and Navi with her arm outstretched.

67500CA5-92FC-4556-8B72-FA7890C955CA.jpeg