Himalayan Tabby?

fluffyncupcake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hello! My husband and I acquired a couple of cute kittens via craigslist. The people they came from said the daddy was Himalayan seal point and that their momma was tabby. The first two photos are of the daddy, and the last one is of "Fluffy" Does she look to have very much of her daddy's genes???

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hello! My husband and I acquired a couple of cute kittens via craigslist. The people they came from said the daddy was Himalayan seal point and that their momma was tabby. The first two photos are of the daddy, and the last one is of "Fluffy" Does she look to have very much of her daddy's genes???
In order to get a seal pointed look, I believe both mother and father have to be a carrier of the gene. If the mother was a tabby and did not have a pointed gene the kitten will  just look like a tabby. From the picture "Fluffy" will most likely just look like a domestic tabby and will not not become a pointed cat like her father.

I hope the people who you got the kittens from get their cats fixed and are not charging for "Himalayan-mixes". 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fluffyncupcake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They gave both of the kittens to us for free. The other kitten is just a tabby she also has short hair... Her name is cupcake.  Fluffy however has long hair and her face is different than Cupcakes. :)

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well that is good, but I do hope they get their cats fixed. Giving away free kittens on craiglist really is not the best idea. She is a very pretty cat though! Her head shape may be reflective of her h[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]imalayan ancestry. [/color]

Last edited:

fluffyncupcake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure why the daddy was caged up...I can only hope that he was going to be taken to the vet to be neutered... I've heard of a lot of people doing rehoming fees....I was pretty surprised they didn't want a fee for the kittens...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe Fluffy is going to be fluffy :lol3:. It would be quite obvious at this age, and she just isn't longhaired. You can usually tell by looking at the tail---it would be a little bottlebrush if she were longhaired. She does have the poofy fur that small kittens often have, but I'd bet that she'll be a shorthair, if possibly with thicker fur than her sister.

Longhair is also a recessive gene, if both parents are longhaired all kittens will be too. But if one parent is shorthaired the kittens could be either.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well,  if that's definitely her dad ,   the issue is that she  DID inherit  several of his genes that cause his coat length and pattern,  but they got overruled b other genes from her mother.  

For longhair,  or  non-agouti ( would make her solid instead of tabby)   , or his pointed pattern,  those are all recessives,  so she would have had to get those from BOTH parents in order to have those traits.   

Instead she inherited from her mother the  dominant gene at each of those genetic loci.    so it made her a shorthair tabby , with full unot  a pointed pattern.   

She has the original cat coat pattern passed down from the wild ancestors. 

I don't think she is longhair either.  At least in that photo she does not look it.  It can be harder to tell with kittens since shorthairs and longhairs can both look kinda fluffy as kittens ....   but as Willowy said  , in a longhair the tail is usually poofier .   Willowy may be right that she could have a slightly longer and thicker coat than Cupcake.    

That IS a small cage and I sure hope they don't keep him in that all or most of the time.     

fluffyncupcake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, her tail isn't very poofy at all. I was hoping she would have longer hair.... When I talked to the people about the kittens they told me that Tabby genes almost always overrule when a purebred and a domestic mate. Nonetheless they're super adorable kitties.. They never explained why he was in the cage, but I hope it's not for a long time either...

missfenty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found this kitten sold by a breeder. Thr breeder stated that she's himalayan, but she has unique marble marking on her white fur.. I think her fur color is dope

Attachments