Hiking with Cats

jamesen14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly, my cat is declawed. However, he loves the outdoors and I have taken him outside with a leash and harness before. Can I take him out on a walk or hike and maybe even camping though he has no front claws? He is still very mobile and gets around very well. Thanks!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly, my cat is declawed. However, he loves the outdoors and I have taken him outside with a leash and harness before. Can I take him out on a walk or hike and maybe even camping though he has no front claws? He is still very mobile and gets around very well. Thanks!
As long as he is on a leash or harness at all times, I would think this would be fine.  As long as he's not in a position where he has to defend himself, I think he will enjoy himself.  He would need to sleep in a tent with you, etc, and never leave your sight.

growlithe66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As the previous poster said, I would just be 100% sure he can not get loose. I can imagine it being a scary situation if he was to get loose out in the woods, where it's an unfamiliar fate- there are lots of dangerous things out there he could run into :/ I don't know a lot about cat camping, but I'm willing to bet they make some type of tents, etc. that are safe for taking pets camping with you. I had looked into something like this a while ago and found this website- maybe it will be helpful for you! Good luck. http://www.adventurecats.org/

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not advise taking your cat hiking or walking in unfamiliar territory. If a  stray dog comes along and your cat takes off how would you feel? If it is worth taking a chance on something bad happening to your cat then you have to live with your decision.