Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby does the same thing. That looks like a pretty deep bowl, and it might stop the food from going over the edge, but the real answer lies in why she is doing it in the first place.

I mean, for Feeby, it is because she is lapping every bit of the liquid/juice out of her food as she eats. This means the food gets shoved up against the sides of her dish - and, over if I don't watch it. The only way I can stop that is to add more liquid, over and over again, along with re-scooping the food into a pile continuously.

I can do that because I am home, and only feed her at certain, but numerous, times of the day - so I watch what she does and add liquid/re-scoop accordingly. I realize my solution might not be the one for you, or even the answer as to why Ruby is doing what she does.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
the real answer lies in why she is doing it in the first place.

I mean, for Feeby, it is because she is lapping every bit of the liquid/juice out of her food as she eats. This means the food gets shoved up against the sides of her dish - and, over if I don't watch it. The only way I can stop that is to add more liquid, over and over again, along with re-scooping the food into a pile continuously.
:yeah:
I have to do the same thing, but it’s only certain wet foods. I add water to all of them, but only a couple seem to stick more to the bowl, causing Iris to lick them over the edge if I don’t intervene in time. More water helps, though.

I wonder if the stainless steel makes it less likely to happen. More slippery? I use Corelle. But making the food wetter definitely helps.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeby does the same thing. That looks like a pretty deep bowl, and it might stop the food from going over the edge, but the real answer lies in why she is doing it in the first place.

I can do that because I am home, and only feed her at certain, but numerous, times of the day - so I watch what she does and add liquid/re-scoop accordingly. I realize my solution might not be the one for you, or even the answer as to why Ruby is doing what she does.
I think Louise and Feeby are related! She also laps the liquid, taking a very very long time. If I add some crumbled topping, it is even longer. The result every meal is a hole in the center of the ceramic bowl and the morsels all around the edges and on the floor. I am forever sticking my finger in the bowl and 'mounding' the food again until she eats it. It seems it just slides up the sides when she is lapping it. (she came to me free eating and eats all day(and night) because of taking an appetite med)
Funny....I was just thinking of this topic today!
The ceramic bowls I have came with a wooden stand that is tilted . it happened with the slanted angle as well,Ruby'smama.
As for those bowls with the ears..she wouldn't go anywhere near those...she was scared to death of the big ears! LOL
I think perhaps it is the slippery ceramic or stainless steel that cause them to not get a grip on the food.
I wish I had an answer, and if I find one I will share .
I bet a bowl with a grainy surface would provide some needed traction!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but the real answer lies in why she is doing it in the first place.
Hmmm...not sure. But I think she just pushes the food to the side of the dish as she's eating, and because it's low sided, food goes over the edge.

I had a similar style bowl, that's tilted and higher off the floor. It worked :)

View attachment 456053
Oh, that's so cute. Wonder if it comes in orange. :lovecat2:

I wonder if the stainless steel makes it less likely to happen. More slippery? I use Corelle. But making the food wetter definitely helps.
Interesting. I use stainless steel for her water, but ceramic for food. I've got extra stainless steel dishes, so maybe I'll put her supper in one of them and see how it goes.

I wish I had an answer, and if I find one I will share .
Thanks. I will as well.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever tried a higher backed food dish? Ruby always pushes wet food out of the dish onto the mat, and I wonder if a dish with a higher back would help keep the food in the dish?

Amazon has this one that look interesting. Any thoughts?
View attachment 456049

SuperDesign Mess Free 15° Slope Bowl for Dogs and Cats, Tilted Angle Bulldog Bowl Pet Feeder

andromeda used to do that. we fed her with these:

they worked well. she didn't like bowls because of whiskers.