High-wind snowfall terrified my adopted blind cat. Any calming strategies?

wali_the_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a 7 year-old blind cat a week ago. He has a safe room (the bathroom) and is also very comfy in my bedroom (connected to bathroom safe room) and spends most of his time happily napping in my bed.

Last night he was up all night staring at the (closed) window as a high-wind snow rolled through. He was really tense and alert, just staring in the direction of the wind sounds, and wouldn't go to sleep. At night, usually sleeps on my belly.

Is there anything I can to do to calm him down when the weather freaks him out?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh poor baby.:vibes:
Things that may or may not help (people have different outcomes) are Feliway and Thundershirts for cats.
I've had good results from Feliway.
I tried Sundar in a small dog coat (thundershirts are expensive) that held him tightly. He was fine and it seemed to work as long as he didn't try to walk around. When he did that he did the fall over thing that many cats do in walking vests.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be close at hand if at all possible. Place a reassuring hand on him for reassurance, maybe have some background noise such as a radio or TV softly playing. Most cats are on edge during bad weather, it is instinctive and we are not able to reason with them so they give in to their fears. Bless you for adopting him, I know he will grow to love you and become a wonderful family member and companion. Though his sight is limited, his heart is not!

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Being blind your baby is more attuned to changes in sound. I agree with leaving a radio or something on to be background noise. Blind cats will figure out what noises are not dangerous after being exposed to them a few times. Mine doesn’t care about the garbage disposal anymore even though my sighted cats take off when I use it. Thank you for adopting him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wali_the_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Intriguingly my little guy doesn't mind the blender or vacuum one bit. It seems to be outside/natural noises that freak him out terribly. I'll make sure to give him lots of love and reassurance next time the wind howls. Thanks for the advice!