High Strung Girl Has A Lot Of Missing Fur?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Revolution takes care of fleas and worms. If the cats have no fleas and do not go outside, then they do not need any topical monthly. Save your money.

Switching foods is a good idea.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I nust brought my Burt back from the vet, he has huge bare spots on his back from pulling all his hair out. Had a tick there a few weeks ago, vet thinks it is an allergic reaction to the tick bite. He gave him an injection of a long lasting steroid, says it will last 3 weeks. That was a few hours ago and he has already stopped pulling at his hair. If your girl keeps getting bald spots, ask about an injection so you don't have to give oral medication. the whole thing only cost me 55.00, a bargain to avoid all his discomfort and not to mention an end to 'bushels' of hair around the house.
maggiedemi, I find my Drontal on Amazon for 8 tablets for 19.35, a lot cheaper then at the clinic.Cat Care Forums

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Butch has this bare patch on his belly and there appears to be somewhat of a rash happening. I recall someone earlier mentioning that this could be an allergic reaction to his litter. I get this all natural litter from Chowhound that has zero chemicals / fragrances so I find it hard to believe he could be breaking out from that. But then, I don't know. Maybe there's something that litter is made from that is causing a reaction. I was thinking of trying that new Fresh Step Simply Unscented. What do you guys think? Has anyone tried this litter or had their own cat break out from a certain kind of litter?

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cats are completely off the Orijen now and eating their new food. I give them a packet of BFF Tuna & Beef every other day, just for the protein. They are both still shaking their heads and itching. Butch still gets these strange sores above his eye. I know that sometimes he scratches his head too hard and pulls tufts of fur out.

I'm pretty much out of ideas. They are both on Revolution. I've changed their litter, food, wash all the bedding, vacuum regularly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They may have mites on their skin that you cannot see. (This is different from ear mites.) A vet can do a skin scraping to check, and give you meds that will clear it up.

They could have picked up the mites in the basement.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the BFF made my Weruva? They are having a recall in Australia on the fish flavors. Just thought I'd mention it.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Found this on The Conscious Cat:

"Australian media has been reporting this issue, and it’s probably only a question of time before it hits the US media. Once again, it’s important to understand that as of this writing, no products distributed in the US have been affected by this recall."

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of trying Benadryl on my cats. I've read about other cat owners who have used this (and Clariton) when their cats are suffering allergies to something. I'm going to try crushing up one half of a pill in their wet food and see how it goes.

Last edited:

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was going to take them to the vet Tuesday, but I can't afford it right now. In the meantime I'm just trying to figure out what I can do for them myself that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I would not give meds without aid of a vet. Yes some treatments are what you stated but don't do it without the blessing of your vet. Is there no way to find another place to live? Sounds like the basement is causing stress for all.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot about the prednisone, doh. I started again yesterday morning crushing up one pill and dividing it among both cats in some BFF Tuna and Beef. They ate it and again this morning so we'll see how that goes. The vet said she would refill the prednisone for me if this works helping the cats.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would not give meds without aid of a vet. Yes some treatments are what you stated but don't do it without the blessing of your vet. Is there no way to find another place to live? Sounds like the basement is causing stress for all.
I wish we could, but for right now we have no other options.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am surprised they ate the pred-it's very bitter! I have to give a half tablet of it and I roll it in butter or make pieces and roll in butter and stick inside a glob of babyfood. My girl growls when I give pills-but I now have a pill popper that makes it so easy=I just need to tip head back and get mouth open a bit and stick it in mouth in back of tongue followed by a spray of water from a syringe.

This holds a capsule=the pred was too small to hold in this popper=I use empty gel caps to put it inside so they can't smell/taste it. a bit of butter on the end sticking out of pill popper makes pill slide down throat easier.

These seem to be the right size- #4

There's others but this seemed to be the better price-some sellers sell them in 100 and 500 units.

Size 3 is a bit larger

Last edited:

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trying to give them pills was a nightmare so I'm glad this method is finally working.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I put pills in butter. Easy for the cats to swallow and tastes yummy.

Please get a skin test for mites done as soon as you can.

Good you're using the prednisone.

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes giving pills is a nightmare without the pill popper=I found having someone hold the cat and give them a lick of butter before you put it in their mouth helps=then I gently put two fingers on each side of mouth until they start to lick their lips=that's when I go in from the side and aim for the back of mouth-yes it's stressful at first=if I didn't have this popper=theres no way in hell I am getting anything in her mouth not to mention her chompers hurt! The tip is soft rubber so it won't hurt them....it took me about a good week or so of 1 time a day of pilling before we got it right. I also feed her breakfast right after=it is a good motivator=this info is not to make you feel pressured=just to give you something to think about if the pred ends up being a long term treatment. They also compound in a liquid but I found that caused more problems-each cat is unique.