High stress cat and home repairs?

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats, one of which has urinary crystals and is a high stress cat.  I am having gutters installed and was looking for advice on how to manage the high stress cat.

I do have an interior closet/bath/laundry room where I could sequester them.  I have Feliway and a calming spray called "CatNap"  

Any thoughts or suggestions for a calming music CD for cats?

My house is small with lots of open windows.  Should I cover windows with sheets?  I'm in a rural wooded area with no neighbors so I have no window treatments that cover all of the window. 

I imagine the workers will be making lots of noise and be right there in their windows!

I welcome any suggestions.  Thanks for your help. 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz is a high-stressed cat too.

Like you I use Feliway and I add Rescue Remedy to her food when repairmen come to the house.  I use one handyman, who has cats, and after two years, she is use to "Bill".  Bill is a cat person, so is conscientious about closing doors and windows.

I don't think you need to cover windows with sheets, mainly because your cats won't be hanging around the windows with all the noise.  Similarly, I don't think you need to sequester them, I think they will go where ever they feel the most comfortable, be it under the bed or in a walk in closet.

I've heard harp music is particularly soothing to cats.  I play 'new age', easy listening instrumental music (where I live, it's a tv station.)

What I would be a little worried about is if the workers will be accessing your house:  I would be afraid of a cat escaping. 

When I moved, I put Ritz in the large bathroom (has her litter box in it) and shut the door, and put a large sign on it:  DO NOT OPEN DOOR, cats inside.  You might do something similar, at the very least, tell the workers you have cats and make sure to shut all doors/windows.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice.  I had forgotten about Rescue Remedy! 

You're right that they all have their hiding places.  I'm getting gutters put up so all the windows will have me on ladders in view but they won't notice windows if they are under the bed or tucked high in a pantry shelf. 

I am fortunate that it requires no home entry.  I do have a wrap around screen porch that will contain any door darters. 

Knowing how one stresses over things I wanted to prepare as best as I could.

Thanks!