High Respiratory Rate In Kitten

Subspace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone :)

My female kitten (Senna) has been breathing fast since the day I got her at a local rescue. I thought it would normalize by now but it hasn't and it is worrying me. I adopted her when she was 8 weeks old and now she is 3 and a half months old. She was underweight at a mere 1.13 ounce during the first vet visit and since then she has gained a little over a pound.

Her respiratory rate is around 60-70 bpm at rest and around 120-140 bpm when she is awake. I mentioned this to the vet during the first visit and the second visit but they found nothing wrong. Told me that her breathing sounds fine and she is a healthy kitten. I also brought up the fact that she has been getting off and on diarrhea since the day I got her and thus our vet prescribed us some antibiotics to give her during the second vet visit. Her stool has been getting a bit better since but her respiratory rate is still not normal. We also brought a stool sample to the vet for testing and it came back negative.

I brought her to a different vet due to a possible feline herpes outbreak (noted by the red inflammation) around her right eye, which went away by the time I got to the vet. I brought up the topic of her respiratory rate and they told me the same thing... that her breathing is fine.

Besides her breathing, she eats well (high quality 3oz wet food three times per day), is active and will play with her brother (Frank) who is also the same age (she will initiate play fights). She does get stressed easily when meeting strangers, vacuum, and other things. She meows softly (can't hear it sometimes) and her purr is dead silent. Very shy kitten.

Should I just trust my vets? Not sure what to do here.

As I type this, Senna is on my desk chasing after the mouse pointer on the monitor :p

Last edited:

Lisaloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would ask your vet if she could possibly have lung worms. My cat had rapid breathing/wheezing and my vet gave him medication for lung worms, and a antibiotic which seemed to help his issue, but he also has mild feline asthma. A regular de-wormer wont kill lung worms. My cat was prescribed Panacur. I'm not saying that's whats wrong with your kitty, but it wouldn't hurt to ask :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens usually do breathe quicker than adults... It may be why the vets werent concerned. although I admit I dont know the exact rates.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Subspace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens usually do breathe quicker than adults... It may be why the vets werent concerned. although I admit I dont know the exact rates.
They do breath quicker than adults but not at the abnormal rate that my kitten is at. Our male kitten's (Frank) respiratory rate is around 40-60 BPM, which I consider to be normal. Senna on the other hand is going all the way up to 120 BPM on a regular basis.

I would ask your vet if she could possibly have lung worms. My cat had rapid breathing/wheezing and my vet gave him medication for lung worms, and a antibiotic which seemed to help his issue, but he also has mild feline asthma. A regular de-wormer wont kill lung worms. My cat was prescribed Panacur. I'm not saying that's whats wrong with your kitty, but it wouldn't hurt to ask :)
I'll definitely bring this up during the next Wellness Exam. Aside from the rapid breathing, she doesn't wheeze but she does start panting after a short play session. Something is definitely up with her respiratory system and I don't understand why our vets are passing it off like it's nothing. I might be missing something here.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not one for willy-nilly just giving antibiotics. The test for lung worms is called the Baermann test, if you want your vet to do that particular test at the next Wellness exam.

Some kittens do pant after play sessions, esp. in hot weather... but it's my view that panting in cats is not normal. I'd keep a close eye on it, and if you notice any more things that worry you and you are dissatisfied with the first 2 vets you've used, take her to another vet. Were the vets you used from a dog/ cat/ and multi-animal practice? Maybe you can find a specifically feline practitioner, even one with experience in respiratory/asthma/ allergy issues?
AAFP | American Association of Feline Practitioners

Subspace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not one for willy-nilly just giving antibiotics. The test for lung worms is called the Baermann test, if you want your vet to do that particular test at the next Wellness exam.

Some kittens do pant after play sessions, esp. in hot weather... but it's my view that panting in cats is not normal. I'd keep a close eye on it, and if you notice any more things that worry you and you are dissatisfied with the first 2 vets you've used, take her to another vet. Were the vets you used from a dog/ cat/ and multi-animal practice? Maybe you can find a specifically feline practitioner, even one with experience in respiratory/asthma/ allergy issues?
AAFP | American Association of Feline Practitioners

Both my kittens are strictly indoors. Temperature in the house is around 68-75F.

Both vets are multi-animal practices.

I forgot to mention that Senna "possibly" has FHV. Her left eye was inflamed/irritated, a bit red, and squinting. This was a few weeks back. Vet told me it was most likely FHV since it went away very quickly. Today, Senna had another outbreak of the "possible" FHV but this time it was her right eye that was affected. It went away after an hour or so.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are perhaps used visiting cats are stressed thus breathe guicker. Yes a vet specialized on cats is better in unclear cases.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Trust your gut and stress it. Go back and tell him it has not improved. That you see a clear difference between her and her brother, and that she is regularly panting. If he doesn't order testing after that you should get a different vet, imo.

Subspace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. For the first time today, Senna started breathing at a normal rate while she was napping on my lap. Then she woke up shortly after, fed her dinner, and then started flying around the house with her brother, Frank.

Not sure if it's the antibiotic finally kicking in. It could also be the Feliway Comfort Zone spray that I used recently. Either way, i'll continue to monitor her and make sure her respiratory rate stays in the normal range.