High Quality Wet Cat Food Brands

kireiKats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A question for those who can afford the premium cat food brands: what are the healthiest palatable options available in the USA that are not subscription? I have two purebred Balinese cats and one miniature (1/4) Maine Coon mix.

The maine coon mix is the youngest and is currently on tiki baby cat rotating all flavors. He doesn't mind eating very similar flavors repetitively so I will probably keep him on Wellness Core when he is older.

One of the Balinese cats is extremely picky and the only healthy foods I have had luck getting her to eat is Wellness Core Chicken/Turkey wet and Orijen Kitten dry food. Her breeder got her addicted to Fancy Feast kitten classic so it's hard to find other foods that can compete in flavor. She dislikes eating the same food for two meals in a row and despite being spayed she is still very athletic and struggles to maintain her weight on kitten food due to being picky and a grazer. I rotate between Wellness Core and either Royal Canin kitten wet food or Fancy Feast Gourmet Naturals Chicken kitten food.

The other Balinese cat is generally unpicky but dislikes Orijen/Acana wet food so she is rotating between Wellness Core and Instinct. She also hast Orijet Kitten Dry when I plan to be away from home for a long time.

Looking for more options to try. Stella & Chewy wet food and Nulo's stews were a fail for all my cats.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed our Maine Coon Merricks Backcountry Rabbit pouches, primarily. Plus Orijens kibble (Tundra or Regional Red). It's the food she consistently will eat, for a long time now. Sometimes I can get her to eat other Merrick canned foods but it's not as consistent as I'd like.

The older domestic girl is a Fancy Feast addict. I'm fine with it, as long as she's healthy (she is) and eating. There's worse food out there but I do only give her the Classic pate line, which is the best of the bunch. Sometimes a Savory Center one, but that's not a daily food. She's not really into kibble, though will sometimes poach on her sister's dish if we're late with her dinner.

I've had good success with various canned Weruva food (Cats in the Kitchen line) with a prior cat, sometimes with the two I have now but again, not consistent enough to warrant buying it.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats also love a rotating menu. In addition to their homemade food, they get a rotation of canned food from Orijens, Instinct and Tiki Cat After Dark, frozen raw from Stella & Chewy's and freeze dried raw from Instinct and Stella & Chewy's (photos attached). I don't feed them any kibble, and I follow Dr. Karen Becker's pet nutrition protocol.

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
A question for those who can afford the premium cat food brands: what are the healthiest palatable options available in the USA that are not subscription? I have two purebred Balinese cats and one miniature (1/4) Maine Coon mix.

The maine coon mix is the youngest and is currently on tiki baby cat rotating all flavors. He doesn't mind eating very similar flavors repetitively so I will probably keep him on Wellness Core when he is older.

One of the Balinese cats is extremely picky and the only healthy foods I have had luck getting her to eat is Wellness Core Chicken/Turkey wet and Orijen Kitten dry food. Her breeder got her addicted to Fancy Feast kitten classic so it's hard to find other foods that can compete in flavor. She dislikes eating the same food for two meals in a row and despite being spayed she is still very athletic and struggles to maintain her weight on kitten food due to being picky and a grazer. I rotate between Wellness Core and either Royal Canin kitten wet food or Fancy Feast Gourmet Naturals Chicken kitten food.

The other Balinese cat is generally unpicky but dislikes Orijen/Acana wet food so she is rotating between Wellness Core and Instinct. She also hast Orijet Kitten Dry when I plan to be away from home for a long time.

Looking for more options to try. Stella & Chewy wet food and Nulo's stews were a fail for all my cats.
Wellness core is an excellent food but I fed just that to my cat,no she has trouble eating, I feed tiki after dark,weruva,orijen, daves,Dr elseys,hound&gatos,earthborn,feline natural,nutro perfect portions,fancy feast classics turkey&giblets,and instinct. All canned

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, for possibilities there's this;

https://www.chewy.com/b/kitten-14252

You might try adding Purina Forti-flora, for flavor, to other brands to see if that interests them. Forti-flora isn't that great as a probiotic but it's made with animal digest from what I understand, and is practically irresistible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kireiKats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed our Maine Coon Merricks Backcountry Rabbit pouches, primarily. Plus Orijens kibble (Tundra or Regional Red). It's the food she consistently will eat, for a long time now. Sometimes I can get her to eat other Merrick canned foods but it's not as consistent as I'd like.

The older domestic girl is a Fancy Feast addict. I'm fine with it, as long as she's healthy (she is) and eating. There's worse food out there but I do only give her the Classic pate line, which is the best of the bunch. Sometimes a Savory Center one, but that's not a daily food. She's not really into kibble, though will sometimes poach on her sister's dish if we're late with her dinner.

I've had good success with various canned Weruva food (Cats in the Kitchen line) with a prior cat, sometimes with the two I have now but again, not consistent enough to warrant buying it.
Thank you! I never noticed the Merrick brand before but they have a lot of limited ingredient recipes for sounding out specific food allergies. I never 100% know if my cats dislike the flavor of a mixed-in new food or if it upsets their stomach so they might be useful.

My parents' domestic shorthair only ate Weruva's classic line and developed intestinal lymphoma at the early age of 10 years old passing away 7 months later despite chemotherapy treatment. Because indoor domestic cats tend to be more hardy than purebreds and often live into their late teens if maintaining a healthy weight, I am distrustful of Weruva but I know that is very palatable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kireiKats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wellness core is an excellent food but I fed just that to my cat,no she has trouble eating, I feed tiki after dark,weruva,orijen, daves,Dr elseys,hound&gatos,earthborn,feline natural,nutro perfect portions,fancy feast classics turkey&giblets,and instinct. All canned
Thanks for the extensive list of brands. I'll be checking them out. I like that Wellness Core is appropriate for all lifestages, has a strong reputation for nutritional quality, and is pate texture. Sorry to hear that your cat has trouble eating.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the extensive list of brands. I'll be checking them out. I like that Wellness Core is appropriate for all lifestages, has a strong reputation for nutritional quality, and is pate texture. Sorry to hear that your cat has trouble eating.
I think as she got older it was too "rich" for her,so much meat . Lots of chicken every day. Now she eats a different protein every day,many small servings

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! I never noticed the Merrick brand before but they have a lot of limited ingredient recipes for sounding out specific food allergies. I never 100% know if my cats dislike the flavor of a mixed-in new food or if it upsets their stomach so they might be useful.

My parents' domestic shorthair only ate Weruva's classic line and developed intestinal lymphoma at the early age of 10 years old passing away 7 months later despite chemotherapy treatment. Because indoor domestic cats tend to be more hardy than purebreds and often live into their late teens if maintaining a healthy weight, I am distrustful of Weruva but I know that is very palatable.
Intestinal lymphoma can be caused by so many reasons, most frequently unvaccinated cats and those living with people who smoke. I haven't heard of it being linked to any food brands/types. Could have just been a coincidence but I understand your hesitancy in feeding it.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a question for everyone. I’ve tried getting my cats (11) to eat other brands other than Friskies wet food, which I’m really not crazy about. But my question is I’ve seen some wet food brands have “deboned” chicken or Turkey, duck but I’m always afraid the process they use won’t be able to get ALL the bones out and then small silvers of bone will get caught in my cat’s throat etc. I know it may sound silly but that’s what I worried about…Is “deboned” a term that certain cat food companies use, I know other brands who have chicken or Turkey etc in the
ingredients started out on bones….lol
sorry if it sounds like a really stupid question..🤭

Nanlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

My 17 year old cat will only eat fancy feast wet food and I feed her 3 or 4 times a day. She is so little and not fat but has good health the vet says. But like us all she has sagging skin.