High Liver Enzymes.

65pacecar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, New to the site. I have a 10 year old Siamese, always in perfect health and her recent physical exam was excellent with perfect heart sounds etc. however, when the bloodwork came back all looked good except high AST, ALT (around 500 each), previous bloodwork was perfect. She is eating, sleeping, and drinking normal, normal play and no vomiting except on occasion and usually has hair in it, occasionally all food. The Vet is suggesting to check levels again in 7 weeks, but still worried. We had been traveling just before her exam and she gets really stressed when we leave, plus she had Advantage Multi about three weeks before exam. She is indoor only and no other pets in the house. Any thoughts?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! If it were me, I would have her levels tested again as the vet recommended - especially since you are not seeing any signs of a problem.

ALT and AST are not necessarily indicative of liver damage and can sometimes be related to skeletal muscle issues, among other non-liver conditions, as well as metabolic disorders. If the enzymes are still high, the vet might then suggest a liver function test to better characterize any related medical possibilities. Following that, they might suggest an ultrasound to look at the size and structure of the liver, as well as other organs.