High Dosage Of Prednisone For Feline Acne??

Treapalmer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my poor baby Pickle has severe feline acne. It went from blackheads to red welts and pustules and it hha been bothering him so badly that he yelps when one of them pops or he accidentally itches it.

Took him to the vet and they prescribed a really high dose of Prednisone, which actually freaked me out when I saw it. I've given my cats this steroid before, but only about .5 ml/ dosage. The dosage they want us to give Pickle is 3.5ml/dose!!!

Is this ok?? I'm just worried putting that much steroids in his little kitty body

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would double check with the vet before giving the steroids. Did you get an antibiotic as well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Treapalmer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We did double check while we were there. I've just never seen that much to administer.

And yes, he also got a shot for antibiotics

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
3.5 ml a dose??? That's huge :shocked: What did the vet say when you questioned him / her at the office? Maybe the dose is 0.35 ml and a typo was made on the label?? Do you know the pred strength? 5 mg / ml strength or 10 mg / ml strength is common and there are others.

Are you using non-plastic bowls? Cleaning the chin daily can help with the acne. A swab of witch hazel or a Stridex acne pad will work.

Treapalmer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we decided to do 3ml instead of 3.5, since 3.5 would've been more than the syringe holds for one dose and it's hard enough to administer one :(

I did a lot of research last night, and I guess based on his weight (11 pounds), the dosage is right on the mark. I'm still very cautious, watching him like a hawk all day. He's only on that dosage 2x/day for 4 days, so after that I'll feel much better about administering it.

He also has to have his chin wiped and have this ointment stuff put on it, then a cone because the acne is itchy and he wants the medicine gone. Poor little guy hates me right now. :bawling:

Treapalmer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you using non-plastic bowls? Cleaning the chin daily can help with the acne. A swab of witch hazel or a Stridex acne pad will work.
Forgot to answer this part! Yes, we only use ceramic bowls and have been cleaning them with hot water and soap daily. This is the first really bad acne he's had. Every now and then he'd get a bump or two but they'd be gone in a few days. This is very severe - his entire chin was covered with it. :sniffle: