High calorie supplements for cat with cancer?

NatalieM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
My 14 year old girl, Chia, has mammary cancer that has recently started to show in her lungs. We had her on Palladia and prednisolone, but after one week of meds she got a bad respiratory infection. Went on Veraflox antibiotic which did clear up the URI. Everything together just knocked out her appetite. Tried transdermal mirtazapine for a week but didn’t work. She will not eat anything. She also started being very weak and wobbly. Dr said let’s stop all meds, but could continue the prednisolone. I’ve been syringe feeding her- started with the Hills A/D, omega3s and Thorne Veterinary Immugen supplement. But have now switched to Dr Elseys Chicken Paté (higher calories and better ingredients.)
But I’m struggling to get enough calories into her. I’m almost to the point of adding in Nutri-Cal but it’s all sugar and sugar feeds cancer. I don’t want to feed her tumors and expedite their growth. But at this point is it more important to give her the Nutri-cal and get the calories in?? Any other ideas?
We are also going to try Cyproheptadine- will pick up today and start tonight. Praying that entices her to eat on her own..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try these?

Kitten food is higher in calories than adult food. You may want to give it a try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NatalieM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tomlyn, GNC, Nature's Organics and Richards Organics have supplements that might have better ingredients.

These may help
High Calorie Treats?
thank you so very much!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Praying that entices her to eat on her own..
You may want to try a method my vet introduced me to when Poppycat was sick last spring. You utilize a popsicle stick, scoop a little food on it, gently open her mouth where the jaw hinges, and scrape the food onto her tongue. (I had no choice in the matter. He wasn't eating, was losing weight like crazy plus needed meds, so waiting for him to begin eating wasn't an option. As a matter of fact, until the fluids and meds helped him to feel better, he simply wouldn't have and would have starved).

There might also be something here;
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

Sending you tons of love and prayers :vibes::crossfingers:. Let us know how things go :redheartpump::grouphug2:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have read that Cyproheptadine is sometimes more effective in cats, so I hope that might be the case with Chia. As for the Nutri Cal, it is entirely true that sugar is implicated in cancer growth and most of the major cancer centers like City of Hope advise patients to cut back drastically on it. However, if Nutri Cal is the only thing you can get into Chia, given the metastatic nature of her cancer, I don't know that I would worry about the sugar content. Hopefully the other suggestions posted have been a help and she is eating now.