High Bun And Protein Blood Test Result?

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm currently fostering a FIV senior cat. He's had 3 blood tests done over the last 4 months. The first one was overall bad, the 2nd one with much improvements but his BUN and protein levels were both high, his creatine and bun/creatine ratio borderline high, and his SDMA within normal range. The most recent, which was 1-2 months after the 2nd test, all numbers are normal except his TP, globulin, and BUN, although at a lower number now. I'm very happy that he keeps improving but I'm not sure why these three numbers are consistently abnormally high? What can be the cause? Can a change in diet help?

A side note, he was drinking a ton of water and constantly using the litter box when he first came to us, so we thought he might have kidney issues. That's also why we took him for his 2nd blood test, but since his SDMA is normal, we are only just monitoring atm. When I googled, it stated that high TP could mean your cat is dehydrated, but his drinking has actually decreased a lot since his 2nd blood test. Another thing is that he always sounds congested. He's had 2-3 rounds of antibiotics(for URI and teeth), he's so much better after the URI is resolved but the congestion just won't go away. We have doubts that he has asthma cause he coughs sometimes but the vet said his lungs sound clear.

I'm planning to put him on a lower phosphorous diet and supplementing with omega3 fish oil and lysine. Should he be on a strict senior diet? He is doing well, great energy, nice fur coat, plays well, sleeps well, and actually gained a few pounds. The vet said that's a good sign for a FIV cat. Any advice is appreciated!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Foods labeled as senior cat are no good. They usually have more carbs/filler and less protein. Your FIV kitty needs to stay healthy on a high protein and moderate diet! Omega 3 is a good move for kidneys. All my kitties get it. What kinds of foods ate you feeding him right now. If you're feeding him high quality foods with high protein, that could also explain slightly elevated kidney numbers. Great job on taking care of him!

• Purraise
Reactions: suh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Foods labeled as senior cat are no good. They usually have more carbs/filler and less protein. Your FIV kitty needs to stay healthy on a high protein and moderate diet! Omega 3 is a good move for kidneys. All my kitties get it. What kinds of foods ate you feeding him right now. If you're feeding him high quality foods with high protein, that could also explain slightly elevated kidney numbers. Great job on taking care of him!
Thanks for the info! He's currently on Nutro Adult Chunky Loaf Chicken Dinner(hopefully this is not too bad). I'm still looking up to see what I should switch him to

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't know what their phosphorus levels are. Couldn't find any info on it online. Ingredient wise, it looks pretty good. I used to feed my cats that until one of my cats started getting diarrhea on it.

Some good brands:
Dr. Elsey's Turkey and/or Chicken
Hound and Gatos Rabbit/Turkey
Rawz
Redbarn Naturals Turkey

• Purraise
Reactions: suh