Hiding And Terrified

Pixxelated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This sounds ridiculuous and completely stupid... but so, yesterday we brought home a second kitten as a companion to our first one. They're roughly the same age and we have been taking the introduction slow, since neither of them seem too sure.

Now for the utterly stupid part. This morning when fussing over the newcomer, who is usually a confident young man, I accidentally sat on him. That absolutely terrified him, lots of spitting and hissing. He seemed to walk a little funny after that, but it's hard to tell. Because he sometimes walks funny anyway, as he's got an acquired brain injury.

I think he's more scared than hurt, but I haven't been able to coax him out to check him over. He did gobble up the threats I offered him as a peace offering. Any suggestions? Because I would like to take him to the vets ASAP - just in case it isnt his brain injury.

Also needless to say, I feel absolutely rotten about this. Poor little cat.

Last edited:

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor guy. That is tricky as you don't want to force and pull him out which could cause injury and stress. Can you try a trail of treats leading to a carrier or put food in there? Place the carrier with the food or treats next to his hiding place.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel so bad, I sat on my cat Demi a few months ago too. He has a habit of stealing my computer chair when I get up for a minute and I didn't see him. Luckily he is not a kitten anymore, so I didn't hurt him. I agree with Summercats, a trail of treats might work. In cases of emergencies, I have used the broom, just lightly bring it towards them and have the carrier ready for them to run into. Wear gloves if you need to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pixxelated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you two! I think I've been forgiven, he came out not too long ago and I got some headbutts and a lick or two. :) The weird walk was also just his brain injury rather than anything serious, he's got the all clear! Super relieved, I guess I should watch out they aren't underfoot before moving....