Hidden Kittens

catlovers23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
help!
I feed a few feral cats and I had an inclining a new one was pregnant and I should’ve brought her in sooner, and she was gone 2 days and came back several kittens lighter. She’s definitely given birth, and I can’t get to where I think she hid the kittens. What to do? How can I get to the kittens, should I be forcing my way to them? They’re not even a week old yet. The mom is coming around and I’m feeding her, both wet and dry food, she’s letting me pet her, not sure if bc she’s desperate and hungry or a stray. I will bring her in and get her fixed after I figure out the kittens.
They’re under a porch that I can’t get under?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can nobody get under the porch? Say if you ask / pay a thin person to crawle into?

Im not sure its that good to tear down the porch unless desperate to save lives.
If nothing else, momma will sooner or later come with them to you, at latest when they are 6-7 weeks. You are her food source and her friend. So its to you she will come with them. The only real problem is, they will be more difficult to foster.
The big problem with tearing down the porch is, she may get scared, take the kittens she manages to take, and run off...

IF it were easier for you to come to, I would advice just to collect the kittens in a carrier, and take them home. Momma will almost surely follow after - especielly as she knows you are a friend.
Alternatively, to catch momma, perhaps in a rigged up carrier or another trap, take her in into a prepared room, and afterwards come with the kittens... Letting her be sure she calms down before you take any next step.
help!
I feed a few feral cats and I had an inclining a new one was pregnant and I should’ve brought her in sooner, and she was gone 2 days and came back several kittens lighter. She’s definitely given birth, and I can’t get to where I think she hid the kittens. What to do? How can I get to the kittens, should I be forcing my way to them? They’re not even a week old yet. The mom is coming around and I’m feeding her, both wet and dry food, she’s letting me pet her, not sure if bc she’s desperate and hungry or a stray. I will bring her in and get her fixed after I figure out the kittens.
They’re under a porch that I can’t get under?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlovers23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I could find a way, but I haven’t seen it yet. If it were my house they’d be out already. We were just looking for the cats and the neighbor wasn’t thrilled

So I already reached out to the shelter and they said they would help w the fostering, but understandable.

I would grab mom first, once I knew where the kittens were and before I touched them as not to spook her! They’re hidden so well and we have raccoons so I’m glad they’re not easy to get!

I feed the cats out of a cat carrier, I would just close the door while she was eating, it wouldn’t be hard. She’s pretty trusting (*more reason to think she’s a stray)

Thank you!!!

Can nobody get under the porch? Say if you ask / pay a thin person to crawle into?

Im not sure its that good to tear down the porch unless desperate to save lives.
If nothing else, momma will sooner or later come with them to you, at latest when they are 6-7 weeks. You are her food source and her friend. So its to you she will come with them. The only real problem is, they will be more difficult to foster.
The big problem with tearing down the porch is, she may get scared, take the kittens she manages to take, and run off...

IF it were easier for you to come to, I would advice just to collect the kittens in a carrier, and take them home. Momma will almost surely follow after - especielly as she knows you are a friend.
Alternatively, to catch momma, perhaps in a rigged up carrier or another trap, take her in into a prepared room, and afterwards come with the kittens... Letting her be sure she calms down before you take any next step.

• Purraise
Reactions: TNR

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I agree taking momma first is the safest, IF you are completely sure you can get the kids afterwards.

Sounds good, all in all!

catlovers23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I really appreciate the reply/support/help!

I used this site a few years back when I rescued another cat at my back door who seemed like a stray, and with the help of everyone her, he's so well adjusted inside!

Yes, I agree taking momma first is the safest, IF you are completely sure you can get the kids afterwards.

Sounds good, all in all!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try and get a brave little kid to crawl in there and put them in a box. They are easiest to get before they can walk. And bring them and the mother inside.

catlovers23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try and get a brave little kid to crawl in there and put them in a box. They are easiest to get before they can walk. And bring them and the mother inside.
My husband says it’s only 12” tall with no access to even reach under the porch, the porch is closed in minus a small hole in the lattice

catlovers23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But do not trap mom if you cannot get her kittens.
Yes, I won’t, I’ve read up on this and it sounds traumatic enough, I wouldn’t risk her detaching from the kitties!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband says it’s only 12” tall with no access to even reach under the porch, the porch is closed in minus a small hole in the lattice
She found a good hiding place didn't she. Sounds like you will have to wait until they are walking to catch them.

catlovers23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello All,
I wrote around 2 weeks ago, trying to find a stray cat that I'm sure had kittens. The moms been coming back often and we're feeding her wet food and lots of dry food and water. She comes back at least x2 per day. I know the kitties are close. I can't find them. I'm tempted to post a sign but am worried in the neighborhood it will do more harm than good for the mama and kittens. The kittens would be 2 weeks old as of this past weekend and looking for advice. If I start seeing kittens pop up in another few weeks, should I take them in from mom? If I don't see any kittens when should I grab mom to get her fixed? I'm still looking for the kittens, but to say people are looking at us weird when we are looking under porches, would be an understatement so we are backing off. But I started googling what 2 week old kittens look like and I'm hoping we can hear them soon, or see them...I need advice. I'm open to ideas of where she might hide? And we have an alarm system so when I open the door it beeps and I think she can hear it, so I'm guessing she's not too far...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you see the kittens take in them even if momma wont follow. Shy semiferales are one big exception from the rule of 8+ weeks.

With mommas spaying can be tried to spay and release in 24 hours. Not optimal but done sometimes if you cant find the kittens

catlovers23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, great! Thank you!

Yea, okay. I would probably take her in when I got her spayed, permanently - she's super friendly!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom will bring the kittens with her for food when they are 4-5 weeks old, but not before. Definitely take them in at that point. Hopefully mom will follow as she needs spaying, or the situation will repeat itself.

catlovers23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom will bring the kittens with her for food when they are 4-5 weeks old, but not before. Definitely take them in at that point. Hopefully mom will follow as she needs spaying, or the situation will repeat itself.
Hi there,
I had a few more questions, this coming weekend will be 4 weeks, I’m really hoping mama comes w the kittens soon! Few questions about it though, will all of them come at one time? Meaning should I grab mom and kittens all at one time? Would she only bring some by at a time? She’s ready to come in, she literally jumped in my house to ensure she could eat the food I put out before the other strays I feed! What if no kittens ever come by (maybe she abandoned them, she’s pretty young herself) when should I grab mom if I don’t see kitties?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just be patient and wait for mom to bring the kittens. It may be this week or another week away.

She will bring them soon though, more likely around 5 weeks of age, and at that point you can invite them all inside your home.

She should have all the kittens with her, but if you are not certain you can give it a day or two to make sure.

catlovers23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just be patient and wait for mom to bring the kittens. It may be this week or another week away.

She will bring them soon though, more likely around 5 weeks of age, and at that point you can invite them all inside your home.

She should have all the kittens with her, but if you are not certain you can give it a day or two to make sure.
When you say give it a day or 2, leave mama and the kitties outside and don't take any wait for her to come back at least 1 more time, to make sure she has them all?

Just by chance she abandoned her kitties and they don't come, should I wait until week 8 or 9 to grab mom just to be safe/sure?

catlovers23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you say give it a day or 2, leave mama and the kitties outside and don't take any wait for her to come back at least 1 more time, to make sure she has them all?

Just by chance she abandoned her kitties and they don't come, should I wait until week 8 or 9 to grab mom just to be safe/sure?
Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I have all my scenarios covered off on. I'm so excited for the kittens and then worried if NONE show up, that mama will end up prego again. But mama kitty sure does appear to be eating like she's nursing!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will bring them out - they are not abandoned!

Yes, wait a day or two once she brings them out to make sure they are all there if you see less than 3 kittens.