hi I'm new, new kitten, Christmas tree?

siamesepeaches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I just got my new kitten, she is 6 months old. I have been debating, should I even try to put up a tree this Christmas? she is not a jumper, climber so far......but what kitten can resist a tree!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you're new, maybe you haven't had a lot of time to explore all of the sections yet?
With the coming holiday season, cats and trees has been a popular subject for a few threads over the last couple of weeks.

Some are in the behavioral section and some in the what's new pussy cat section.

My quick opinion. If you're going to try it, try first without decorations.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, you'll never know until you try.

For me, last year was my kitten plus his first tree and he was only moderately interested in it, enough to maybe bat off a few decorations at the bottom which was quickly resolved by moving them to the next branch up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siamesepeaches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks, yes, I'm new and you're right, I didn't see those threads....

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you do try don't use tinsel, string or anything kitten can swallow. Good Luck from your signature I assume you have a siamese kitten, I have a part Siamese adult if I weren't Jewish I wouldn't dare try a tree.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by siamesepeaches

thanks, yes, I'm new and you're right, I didn't see those threads....
I hope you didn't think I was correcting you.
Explore the forum! There's a lot of past threads that are great - and unlike some forums, the search function here works.

Stick around!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siamesepeaches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Strange wings, I actually appreciated your tip

I think I will try a tree with heavy monitoring and kitty friendly decorating on the lower branches.....

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely no tinsel or anything kitty can swallow. I would start with just a few non-breakable ornaments and see how he does. Last year my boys didn't bother the tree, but I have a small one on the table. You just never know what will happen until you try it

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I used to put a tree up I used no lights and I made ornaments from holiday themed, non catnip stuffed toys.
Everyone wins that way.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently I'm a brave soul; we have 6 cats and have never considered not putting up a tree. Our's is artificial, and I bring it into the living room a day or 2 before I actually start to decorate. Gives the kids a chance to get used to it being there and get their exploring over with (hopefully). I also tie the tree to a hook in the window frame and a heavy piece of furniture. I hate coming home to find my fully decorated tree laying on it's side.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Do you want some kittens that are just hitting that must get into things age?
Thankfully they're still small and clumsy enough that they can't jump very high yet, though they can climb quite well.

Originally Posted by Arlyn

When I used to put a tree up I used no lights and I made ornaments from holiday themed, non catnip stuffed toys.
Everyone wins that way.
While not really looking for it, I've came across a lot of neat little wool felt ornaments and dolls. These could be great safe alternatives and make good gifts for anyone with pets or young children that could pull ornaments off.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We get a real tree and we now have 12 cats (4 under the age of 1....barn cats) so this year is going to be interesting. First thing I learned is put of the tree and let it sit there (real or artificial) and let the cats get used to the new "cat tree". If you try to deocorate it as soon as you put it up, you will have helpers.

Secure the tree as good as you can. If you have a small tree, attach it to a heavy base or a bigger tree tie it to the wall. We have 2 eye hooks permenantly in our wall just for our tree (it's normally 7-8 ft high) and just wrap rope around it and tie it to the hooks.

Also, I've found spraying Boundary around the tree helps too. It stinks for about 1/2 hour but then humans can't smell it but cats still can. Usually I only have to do it for a few days before they realize the tree just isn't fun.

Any special ornaments that you would be heartbroken at losing (as in family heirlooms), do NOT but on the bottom of the tree, or if you gave a small tree, save them for next year. Last year most of my resident kitties were over age 2 and they basically left the tree alone. The most damage was done by my dogs with their wagging tails. Cats DO grow out of the "get into everything" phase.

No icicles. I still use rope tinsel, but don't use the tinsel strands (and I LOVE them...). Watch glass balls (if you have them) and pick up any hooks you may find laying around. Other than that...have fun! This year may be hectic (your Peaches is gorgeous BTW and you will have your hands full, but it is do-able but next year will be better.)

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Definitely no tinsel or anything kitty can swallow. I would start with just a few non-breakable ornaments and see how he does. Last year my boys didn't bother the tree, but I have a small one on the table. You just never know what will happen until you try it
If you're looking for a similar effect to tinsel and have cats, you can use ribbon instead. I use thick cloth ribbon that is silver on my tree, sometimes I'll find EG pulling it down. However it's just a big strip of cloth so it doesn't matter if he gets wrapped up into it.

Its fairly cheap for a decoration as well just go to a fabric store and get like 4 yards (if you have a big tree) of a pretty ribbon to wrap around your tree. Make sure its cloth though.