Hi, I'm looking for help with a split personality cat

citymouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat who has severe rage when he sees or smells my older cat. I got him as a kitten 3 yrs ago, he has gotten progressively worse and needs to be separated from the older cat. He viciously attacks her and anyone who gets in his way. I have bruises and claw holes on both my legs from the last time I let him roam free and he got the scent of her in my room...she wasn't even in there, she was locked safely away in another room. He has lunged at me before, last year he grabbed onto my arm, blood was dripping down my arm and I had bruises for weeks. He's very strong.

He turns his aggression on anything in his path, which is usually me, last time he came at me several times, kept me trapped in the upstairs hallway while my kids closed themselves into a bathroom downstairs, just in case. He has never hurt the kids. He is ONLY like this when he sees or smells the older cat, he's like Jekyll and Hyde!

when he's in his room where I'm forced to keep him, he is extremely lovable and affectionate towards me, he puts his giant paws on my shoulders and kisses my cheeks. I know what triggers his insanity.

Does anyone know of any animal behaviorist with a proven record, in the Austin area? Has any one ever used one before? I'm at a loss what to do with this cat, my daughter loves him.
I don't want to give him to some stranger who might mistreat him, or decide they don't want him one day and dump him in a shelter where he'll be killed...lets face it, there are cruel and stupid people who think pets are disposable.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the tcs. I'm afraid I can't help you with a behaviourist as I'm in Australia.

Blossom was a wild thing when she was a kitten but mostly grew out of it by 1 yr old. She has only had anything to do with dogs since she was rescued by my son at 3 weeks old. When she sees another cat on the other side of my bedroom window she growls & hisses like you wouldn't believe, apart from cats fighting, I've never heard anything like it. Makes me very reluctant to ever get another cat.

I can only ask if he's neutered? From what I've heard from breeders, friends & forums male cats are usually the cudliest of the 2 sexes. What's he like when he's not in this mood?

I hope someone hops on here to give you more constructive help.

Maybe post in the behaviour forum where more ppl are likely to see your post.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

citymouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kalikat

Welcome to the tcs. I'm afraid I can't help you with a behaviourist as I'm in Australia.

Blossom was a wild thing when she was a kitten but mostly grew out of it by 1 yr old. She has only had anything to do with dogs since she was rescued by my son at 3 weeks old. When she sees another cat on the other side of my bedroom window she growls & hisses like you wouldn't believe, apart from cats fighting, I've never heard anything like it. Makes me very reluctant to ever get another cat.

I can only ask if he's neutered? From what I've heard from breeders, friends & forums male cats are usually the cudliest of the 2 sexes. What's he like when he's not in this mood?

I hope someone hops on here to give you more constructive help.

Maybe post in the behaviour forum where more ppl are likely to see your post.
If I were you, I wouldn't worry about getting another, this is very bizarre behavior. I've had cats my whole life, always more than one and have never seen anything like this. We are, in part, to blame for his bad behavior because we kept them separated too much..I think maybe if he spent lots of time with her when he was tiny, she would have laid down the law..she is the queen around here. He spent all his time with my other cat and they get along perfectly.
He is neutered, he was at a very young age, I rescued him from a kill shelter, he was very young and they neutered him. When he's not in his crazy mood, he's very lovable and cuddly, it's so weird, you'd never think that this sweet lovable cat could turn on you so fast. It's scary.

There is a supposedly famous cat whisperer/ behaviorist in OR, they charge close to 300 for a phone consult, but then that leaves me on my own..I don't think I can do it alone...plus, what if i spend that money and their advice sucks? I mean, they could tell me to put the cats together...that would be very dangerous and my older kitty could be badly hurt..not to mention myself again!
A lot of people would have given up on him and dumped him on another family...I'm too attached, I have NEVER given an animal away before, I'd feel so mean. I feel bad keeping in that room..the other kitty goes in there to hang with him though.
I just don't know whether to trust these phone consultants..it could be a scam.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

citymouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

I'd contact Amy Shojai http://www.shojai.com/
Thank you, I checked out her site..it seems all she does is write books. I need someone who can come to my house and make my cat normal
...if that's even possible.

It's starting to look like I'm going to have to learn to do the stuff on my own and if it doesn't work..back to plan B, find him a better home...I don't like plan B at all...I'm so torn.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
Milky
:te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina ,Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

Please feel as you home here, we can learn so much and deep about out kittys in this marvelous site, I just only please ask you read the rules and other stuffs that can help you to feel as you Real home!..
here you have the link my friend.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82565

Please ask whatever you need to know, there are plenty of good members and of course our tireness Mod´s to help us here!....

See you on the forums!, Glad you join us!