Hi Everyone--more cat food questions...

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somewhere north of Mexico and on the ocean.
I'm trying to find more cat food for my cat.

I started with Tiki Cat, and then switched/added Weruva. I added the chicken, and one other chicken and something else (duck? turkey?). Then, I added the Lamb. I thought it was great--that I had found a non-fish flavor that she would eat. Lo and behold--it has fish...

So my question is: what is the consensus on cats and fish? I don't want her to have fish everyday for the same reason that I don't have fish everyday (I like it, though not as much as her). When I tried the chicken again, she's just not having it.

So I tried a couple of other things, but would just like to go back to the Weruva and the Tiki Cat. Those seem healthy, and, while not cheap, not too expensive.

Now, she's not interested in anything unless there's fish in it. I'm worried that I may have a fish addict.

She ate the chicken in the past--I know there's a little pig in there just waiting to come out.

Should I mix them? And try and wean her? But does that mean she can't have the Lamb (that has fish in it)? (I just bought 72 cans--geez. I thought I had hit paydirt with a protein :p )

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which flavors are you feeding exactly? I think feeding foods that have fish farther down on the ingredient list is okay, even regularly, but if you can get her on some non-fish too that would be better. Have you tried Soulistic from Petco? Their Good Karma and Harvest Sunrise don't contain fish and they're (supposedly) made but Weruva. What about something like Nutro Natural choice? My cats really like the sliced turkey, it's just little chunks in a gravy, no fish.

I would mix the ones you have now with something that has fish in it so that she'll eat what you've already bought.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't get too hung up about fish being in the food...especially when it's not the sole protein source. Ultimately, the best food to feed your cat is the food your cat will eat! The greatest food in the world can't do any good from inside the tin ;)[article="31650"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the first three ingredients are fish broth, lamb, and tuna--in that order (for the Lamb burger-ini)

i just think she should have a protein that's not fish. i made a mistake--she ate the chicken just fine before, and i should have been happy with that. the ones i should have stuck with are the frikazee (?) fowl ball, and funk in the trunk... the lamb is the lamb burger-ini... the weruva cats in the kitchen and the tiki cat are at the end of my budget.

I have to look at Petco. I went to PetSmart, thinking re: the Nature's Variety Instinct canned limited ingredients. i didn't buy it. and i don't remember specifically why.

i like my vet. she steered me to the catinfo site. it's definitely helpful, but kind of scary.

have you heard of Addiction? I'd never heard of it, but saw an analysis of it, and it looked good. I don't know how much it costs, or where it exists (i came across some food that was pretty expensive)

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

the first three ingredients are fish broth, lamb, and tuna--in that order (for the Lamb burger-ini)

i just think she should have a protein that's not fish. i made a mistake--she ate the chicken just fine before, and i should have been happy with that. the ones i should have stuck with are the frikazee (?) fowl ball, and funk in the trunk... the lamb is the lamb burger-ini... the weruva cats in the kitchen and the tiki cat are at the end of my budget.

I have to look at Petco. I went to PetSmart, thinking re: the Nature's Variety Instinct canned limited ingredients. i didn't buy it. and i don't remember specifically why.

i like my vet. she steered me to the catinfo site. it's definitely helpful, but kind of scary.

have you heard of Addiction? I'd never heard of it, but saw an analysis of it, and it looked good. I don't know how much it costs, or where it exists (i came across some food that was pretty expensive)
Ah yeah, I think i looked at that one before but skipped it because it did have a lot of fish. With that one in particular, I wouldn't feed it daily, maybe once or twice a week, if my cats were crazy about it. My cats like Weruva Fowl ball, as well. Your cat might really like the Soulistiv, as its very similar to Weruva's foods but for some reason a lot of cats like the Soulistic better.

That's awesome your vet recommended the catinfo site. Yes, it is an overwhelming site for sure, and I don't agree with everything on it, but I think its a good resource for information. I have heard of Addiction, although I don't feed it, I think it's decent food, although for the price I think it contains too many veggies. Personally I avoid as many veggies as possible in my cats food. Right now i stick with Merrick's LID, Ziwipeak, Nutro, sometimes Tiki, and Soulistic.

Last edited:

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Ah yeah, I think i looked at that one before but skipped it because it did have a lot of fish. With that one in particular, I wouldn't feed it daily, maybe once or twice a week, if my cats were crazy about it. My cats like Weruva Fowl ball, as well. Your cat might really like the Soulistiv, as its very similar to Weruva's foods but for some reason a lot of cats like the Soulistic better.

That's awesome your vet recommended the catinfo site. Yes, it is an overwhelming site for sure, and I don't agree with everything on it, but I think its a good resource for information. I have heard of Addiction, although I don't feed it, I think it's decent food, although for the price I think it contains too many veggies. Personally I avoid as many veggies as possible in my cats food. Right now i stick with Merrick's LID, Ziwipeak, Nutro, sometimes Tiki, and Soulistic.
I'm going to have to go get some of the Soulistic. I noticed that on their website, many (most) of the flavors include fish. I think the BFF has all fish. I just want to do this soon--she's not going to eat anything else at this rate.

My vet is great. Problem is, I moved about 2 hours away--and I'm considering traveling to see her if it's just a couple of times a year. She said she has a Tonk, too, and we got them from the same area (apparently, there's a lot of "Tonkinese People" around here). She has the CFP thing, and it was the first time that I took my cat to the vet, and they just let her sit in the open carrier with a blanket covered in calming pheromones for awhile before touching her...and my cat had a skin tag. I got a couple of vets telling me it was a tumor. and--a long time ago, I had a vet tell me that her asthma was such that she needed albuterol everyday. She had an infection (she was on antibiotics for a month)...

My cat is a hellion when it comes to the vet--and I'd rather not stress her (and me) out. I think most vets are like dentists--how do I know if they're wrong/doing unnecessary things...?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Slightly off topic here, but...

I understand how hard it is to leave a vet you know and trust, but I really strongly advise you to find a veterinary practice nearby that you feel comfortable with. If, god forbid, you had a veterinary emergency, you would NOT want to be travelling 2 hours to get to a vet. Far better to find someone now when you can do research at your leisure. By all means, stick with your old vet for non emergencies. I just strongly believe that a local back up vet is a wise precaution. That's what I do for my horses ;)

Just my :2cts:

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do have a vet here. The vet here supposedly has the CFP, but the thing is, it's that office that told me that my cat had asthma before amending it to an infection (I moved back to where I lived before, basically). They are fine, and would proceed with whatever I needed (they have all her records), I just don't think that they're as good, as honest, or as nice. I would prefer not to see them.

:) I'm glad you asked-- I love my cat, and I like to be around other people who also care.