Hey, I suck at drawing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sheesh. Camera tracking, greenscreen masking, bump-masking textures...that's pro-level stuff. :bigwink:

I watched that video with the Australian dude explaining how he textured that street scene with the cobblestones and sunlight. That is some really awesome stuff you can do with it. I mean, that's stuff that gaming companies rely on to make realistic graphics. Amazing.
I know some game companies are using Blender, I think that some films have had effects made with it too etc.

Really long time ago I did have access to 3ds max and I made some added content to few games, but nothing big and certainly not commercial grade, but I know how UVmapping, bumpmapping etc. works, at least I used to know. But haven't done any of such in Blender.

I have been doing coding, running and cycling lately with little bit of firewood tossed in so haven't done much of drawing, I made one experiment though.

I don't know if this is any help to @Foxxycat, but first I made morph with two pretty much random pics from net, pic of leopard and a girl so it became easier for me to see how all shapes and lines go, images in my head come and go so fast it is hard to sometimes to draw from there, so creating something similar helps in practicing that eye and hand to see and draw right things.

Not that my drawing would be much improved, but when practicing becomes easier, I tend to practice more and thus learn more.

I used free software called Winmorph, but quite lot of work I made in Gimp as Winmorph really did not make anything that would of been decent, perhaps because I can't use it properly. Of course one don't need to go that far, just finding something close enough can help to get that image from head to paper at least to some form, then it is countless of iterations to get it perfected.

Oh yes, I realized I don't really need to draw more than half as I then draw it again with computer when I have somewhat usable sketch and in computer I just use mirror tool. Also drawing with pencil is perhaps unneeded phase, but I prefer to do it to train myself to see shapes and lines better and for me it is easier to get idea to paper than on screen.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I took my little scooter moped and rode to one city I rarely visit, to my surprise there was a bookstore and there was Faber-Castell pencils, so I bought two kinds, it was almost 100 miles trip, but nice that I found traditional shop run by a nice lady.

So I did test new pencils a little, one set is 9000 and another is Jumbo, I mostly used Jumbo and those are really nice pencils, compared to my old ones those are a world of difference. I don't need to rub graphite into paper, it comes out with gentle sweep, even harder ones, I did not know it should be this way!

Those Jumbo versions are larger than normal pencils, which makes them somewhat nicer to use when doing loose sketching, also I can hit same lines very easily with those compared to my old pencils, so defining lines is so much easier now.

Of course it does not help with seeing issue, but instead of wrestling the pencil I just need to lines form on paper, they come pretty much where I intend to, old pencils seemed to grab the paper, pull to side etc compared to these.

I tested 9000 version just few lines and those are improvement over old ones, a big improvement, but I like Jumbos better for sketching now, those 9000 versions might be better at finer detail stuff.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh, your nasty guys remind me of Japanese Kappa. They're some kind of turtle monster that live under bridges (Or in the Tokyo subway tunnels if you believe modern fiction) They're known for stealing cucumbers, pushing horses into swamps and killing people by ripping out their livers. The little rascals!

So they enjoy the livers with a nice chianti and some......   cucumbers instead of fava beans? 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Plan, see how easy it is to draw a human figures from imagination :lol3: :
[video][/video]

There are a lot of good pointers on those videos though.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I wonder what went wrong with embedding the video this time, another bug or bug on my part?

Anyway, I haven't been drawing so much lately and what I have been drawing has ended up being rubbish, sometimes just nothing seems to came out how I like.

I tried to color space black with 8B but I got very bored very quickly as it did not came even close to black I was hoping for, ship did not came out at all how I wanted and I could not figure out how to get mars red color out from my cheap colored pencils, ton of other faults.

I have always wanted to draw a dragon, but never I have been able to do it this good, even so, there are ton of problems, wings look wrong, hands and feet look wrong and hind legs are too far back etc. Practice, practice, I guess there is no other way.

I practiced poses with one tutorial, didn't really feel even uploading this, it is so much a mess, head, neck, arms, legs, but it was to practice shading and drawing a pose and I guess these failures might help someone to be brace and just do it, it won't be pretty at the beginning, you learn by failing and it sometimes takes a lot of failing until it starts to become right.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
upload_2017-12-31_22-5-50.png

I did that on pencil and then used Power Point to make lines better.

upload_2017-12-31_22-8-31.png

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My car drawings were ahead of THEIR time cars that are cubic just like those "butt boxes" everyones driving these days. And if people had pets that were ALL THE SAME SHAPE I would be quite the artist, in the meantime adult coloring books is as close as I would dare venture.....

engine4154

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bugs-twistednap-rs.jpg
BUGS122514-rs.jpg

A couple of Bugs I did after she passed. These were pencil on paper and need work.
Clyde_1_Mlrs.jpg

Still working on this one of Clyde. Digital done with the OpenCanvas6 program and Wacom Intuos.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so much work and still sides become different no matter how hard I try, need to practice more, there probably is no other cure.
upload_2018-3-20_20-27-31.png

engine4154

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is so much work and still sides become different no matter how hard I try, need to practice more, there probably is no other cure.
View attachment 223483
Practice is it. I been practicing for 50 odd years and still don't think I get it right when it comes to drawing cats. Then I remember that WE are our own worst critics.

What I've been doing lately is going to google and searching 'drawing cats tutorials' then clicking 'images' after it gives me the results. There's plenty to go through and you're never too old to learn new things. Stay at it!