He's peeing on my rugs!!

hillbillywoman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Booger is a 3.5 yr old big maine coon (about 18 lbs). I've only had him for a couple of months and he is my only kitty. He faithfully uses the litter box to poop, and occasionally uses it to pee, but he much prefers to pee on the rugs in the bathroom (which is within a foot of litterbox!) and on my new living room rug. My home has hardwood floors with only a few scattered rugs through out the house.
I keep his littlerbox clean, scooping it daily, I've tried using non scooping littler and the scoopable kind as well. We've ruled out urinary problems with the vet. The few times I have caught him in the act, I scolded him with a water spray bottle. I have cleaned the spots with some stuff specifically made for removing cat urine.
I am at a loss as to what else to try...Any suggestions would be appreciated.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand your frustration, but scolding him and spraying him is the wrong way to go about it. This is only teaching him that it's bad to pee, and will cause him to hold it (very bad for him) or to hide it (very bad for you).

It sounds to me like he needs another litter box. Many cats want one litter box for pee and one for poop. And make sure it's large enough for such a big cat. It also could be he feels he doesn't have enough room to pee.

Add a litter box (a large one), take up all rugs for a while and make sure all urine spots have been cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner, otherwise he will still smell it.

You might try adding a feliway plug in diffuser for a while too, that can help, but definitely another litter box is needed here.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree -add another box, perhaps even in a different location. And, if you can, I strongly suggest filling one box with Cat Attract litter - that's worked wonders with many cats who developed an aversion to the box.

Also, great that you had the vet check done!

Also, and believe me, from experience I know how hard it is to stay calm and not 'punish' the cat, but as Otto says, cats do not react well to negative reinforcement. At best, he'll think you don't want him to pee at all - and he'll start going somewhere to hide when he pees. At worst, he'll start stressing out because he knows he's making you unhappy, and stress can lead to crystal formation. You definitely do not want that.

Assuming he's not sick, I think he's trying to tell you something else is not right in his world. I definitely would try adding a nice new box, the Cat Attract litter. Also, I've read a lot of cats do like to pee on throw rugs with those rubber backings - apparently something terribly attractive there. If that's the case with yours, I'd try rugs that don't have the rubber backs.

Good luck - I know it's hard to project calm when there's a litter box issue, but try your best - it's better for you and your cat.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS You might want to have another urinalysis done, and have a culture done.

This is lab work so more expensive, and takes a few days to get the results, but is a more thorough way to be sure all health issues are ruled out. I highly recommend it.

Male urinary tract issues can turn fatal rather quickly.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can sympathise my cats went thrugh a phase of doing this but mine seem to only pee on rubber backed or washable rugs?? Must be the smell of them or somethig, I have changed all my rugs and they have stopped doing it. x

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a stress pee-er in my house. (though it's been several months since she's done anything) She's healthy, but when upset will sometimes seek out things to pee on. #1 items she goes for: any fabric that left on the floor and rugs.

I simply cannot have any rug in the house. Others have the same problem. That, unfortunately, may be your solution.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hillbillywoman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, I went this afternoon and purchased another, bigger litter box and 40 lb of Cat Attract litter. I read several reviews on this brand of litter and they were all glowing reviews, so I bit the bullet. I brought all this into the house and before we could get the bag open he is rubbing all over it, and as soon as we filled the new litter box and got it all put together, he jumped into and peed, and within 5 minutes he jumped in and pooped. I was tickled to death!
He has since just gotten into the box a couple of times and sniffed around and done a little digging...hopefully this has solved the problem. I put the new litter box in my computer room where we spend a fair amount of time and he likes to be wherever I am.....so....
Thanks so much for your awesome advice and your sharing of your knowledge. All of you are very much appreciated!!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get the 20 pound bags and there's always a little manual inside with hints on cleaning, etc., and, coupons!!!! Usually $1.00 off. Granted, Cat Attracts not the cheapest litter out there, but I bless Dr. Elsey for coming up with it.

I hope this solves your problem - I've found that adding additional boxes never hurts, and sometimes helps more than you'd think.

Sometimes the poor kitties blame the box for any discomfort they feel while in there - so, sometimes the change in litter, box, and or location can work wonders, once any physical issue has been fixed. Heck, I had a UTI a few weeks ago - I was dreading visiting the bathroom myself, and I know the toilet wasn't causing my pain!

Good luck in the future - and thank you for being patient and willing to help your baby with his issue.