He's Eating His Own Poop! Why???

donza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just caught my cat eating his own feces, which is something he's never done before. He is 15 years old and has always been a healthy (albeit a bit overweight) all of his life. Within the past year or so he has gotten much thinner which I had attributed to his age.

Within the last two or three months, I have noticed him going to his litter box much more frequently. Often when he tries to poop it's obvious that he's straining and many times I can hear him squirt an audible gas sound when he tries to go. Many times when he does go it's a bit runny although not as often anymore since I switched him back to the indoor formula cat food.

A few months ago I switched him to a (so called) "gentle" cat food but I think that's when his problems started. So a couple of weeks ago I switched him back to an indoor formula. I've had him since he was about two months old and outside of escaping about a half dozen times and staying gone for a week or so each time he's always been an indoor cat but he's starting to worry me.

He's always been an affectionate cat (to me only) all of his life but recently I can't keep him off of my lap. He's stopped coming to bed with me at night and he seems to have lost interest in cat treats. He's also been getting on my dining room table which is something he has never done before plus he vomits almost daily. Is there anything I can do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Everything I'm reading in your post, the changed behavior, the straining, the vomiting has me thinking that he needs a vet visit.

Can you make an appointment, and in the meantime see if a couple of meals of a 50:50 boiled unseasoned chicken and rice might possibly help get his tummy back on the right track?

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom that you should make a appointment with your vet. At 15, your boy is a senior, and could have some medical issues that need to be treated. Especially with the weight loss and vomiting. The vet can also recommend food to help with his digestive and constipation issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions. I have some chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) in my freezer. I'll thaw one out and boil part of it down and see if that helps. In lieu of it not working I'll take him to the vet.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Within the past year or so he has gotten much thinner which I had attributed to his age.
This kitty needed a vet a year ago. When is the last time he was at a vet? Weight loss without a diet is NEVER a good sign. Straining in the litterbox is just another issue on top of it. Bloodwork and stool/urine check stat. The weight loss is EXTREMELY concerning. Kidney disease perhaps? Please get him to the vet asap.

donza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought some Revolution for him and he seems to be doing better. He still struggles a little in his litterbox but not nearly as bad as before. I'm hoping he continues to improve. If not I'll have to take him to the vet. If I take him in and have bloodwork done it'll cost close to $100. I'm on a fixed income so I'm trying to it if at all possible.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Giving him Revolution is irrelevant. 15 years old, weight loss, straining in the box, this could be life threatening. This is no time to wait. Spend that $100 (which is CHEAP btw for bloodwork) he needs a urinalysis too. This is not something to wait and see if he improves on...

I will ask again... When was he last at the vet? When did he last have bloodwork done?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He IS a senior now, and may be having some senior moments. Just love him as much as you can, get him some deli turkey or chicken breast and make sure he is eating. He may have a blockage or be constipated (1/4 tsp. of miralax works well, then give plenty of liquids) or even a tumor. Encouraging to drink is VERY important at that age, they lose interest in drinking. Set several small bowls of water around, and maybe even try a fountain, Walmart even sells those now. A vet visit would at least give you some place to start, if all checks out then he just needs you.....

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
when our senior cat (he's going to be 20 in a few days) started losing weight a few years ago, it turned out he had hyperthyroidism, which was controlled with a transdermal medication. he also developed IBD, which was keeping him from digesting his food - a steroid helped with that to a degree. he's also had kidney disease, which actually improved after we started giving him sub cutaneous fluids.

HK just had his regular wellness check, and his thyroid, kidneys and all his other values are as good or better than last time. most are well within regular range.

i've never known a cat who ate his own poop, but i had a friend with a dog who did it because - the vet said - he was missing some nutrients. and chicken or turkey won't have the vitamins, minerals or fiber cats need. for that matter, i know that most people consider it crap, but HK has been eating fancy feast for the past 15 years, and he's healthier than most cats his age. one of the vets at the office he goes to has 3 cats, all over 21 now, and they all eat only fancy feast.

i tell you this because please take your cat to the vet. our cat has had health issues but they can be dealt with. but if you don't take him to the vet, they won't be. please don't wait!

donza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK I put some Revolution on him. After a couple of days he started to perk up again. Between that and putting him back on the indoor formula cat food he seems to be doing a lot better. He still sleeps a lot (always has), but he's coming to bed with me at night plus he responds to the words "kitty tweets" again. He still seems to be having some problems with constipation and hasn't had any runny stools at all anymore plus he's totally stopped eating his own poop. I'm inclined to believe that his problems were worm-related but I'm not a vet and I don't play one on TV. Yes he still throws up on a semi-regular basis he has for as long as I can remember), but nowhere near as often as before. He is 15 years old after all but I'll keep an eye on him. But I promise that if he has a relapse I'll take him to the vet post-haste.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a suggestion. A vet visit while he's stable (with a blood panel and urinalysis) will not only give you a great base line on his health right now, better accuracy with his health at the moment (because he's not in crisis), AND will probably be CHEAPER as you will be able to prevent a relapse, that will most likely cost more not only for treatment, but more tests usually need to be done in an emergency type situation.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad he's feeling better. Here's a TCS article on constipation that might be helpful: Everything You Need To Know About Constipation In Cats

Also, when he vomits, it is undigested food from eating too fast? Or hairballs? Or a clear liquid/bile? Knowing the type of vomit might help narrow down the cause.
Here's an article: Your Cat Throwing Up?

And, if he hasn't been for a vet checkup lately, it might be good to take him while he's feeling well. It's always more worrisome to have to take them to the vet when they're ill.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to be so blunt, but donza donza what in your mind needs to happen to warrant a vet visit for your cat? Because if a 15 year old with significant weight loss after being overweight, vomiting, more frequent trips to the litter box, straining in the box and behavioral changes aren't alarming to you, I am very curious as to what is? These are like THE top reasons to take a cat to the vet. You mentioned a money issue but you also mentioned a willingness to spend it if you had to. This is one of those times where you basically have to as a responsible cat owner.

Cats don't lose significant weight over a year just due to age. I am assuming this cat hasn't been to the vet in years, at least not when he first started to lose weight and should have been taken in.

Even if he is feeling a little better now, it is more likely he is actually just hiding it from you better now, as cats are famous for doing. Those symptoms are just too significant to overlook. I don't feel that personal opinions on helping are of any value until this cat sees a vet for bloodwork so we know what underlying condition we are dealing with here. This isn't fair to the cat.

donza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I made an appointment to take him to the vet for blood work & any other tests to find out what might be wrong. An hour before his appointment time he darted out the door and I haven't seen him since. I pray that he comes back so I can take him to the vet. I'm really worried about him. Any and all prayers appreciated.

donza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no sign of him. It will be a week tomorrow...

:sigh: