Herpesvirus and conjuctivitis

christfawk

Keeps hobblin' along
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I'm looking for methods y'all have used to help your kitties with chronic inflammation of the eyes cause by Herpesvirus.

A little background; my Lil' Fungus is 3 and was found as a baby as a throw away. He was very near death due to ringworm and a terrible upper respiratory infection and we later found out he is also FIV+. Fungus is doing fantastic however does have chronic though extremely mild inflammation of his eyes. He also gets slight "eye boogers" that I pick off immediatley. He hasn't had nasal congestion in about 2 years.

As of now we gets gel artificial tears to help lubricate his eyes and if his inflammation becomes pronounced he gets cold compresses on his eyes to reduce swelling. My vet wants to avoid medications as much as possible with him because of his FIV and wants me to take a holistic approach wherever possible.

I do not use L-Lysine, I did in the begining however I've read multiple studies that strongly suggest the lysine does not actually do much at all and actually blocks another amino acid. I'm going to bring this up at his next wellness. I also am going to start taking him twice a year for wellness visits and am setting up one soon.

I know Fungus is complicated by his FIV however I'd love to hear how everyone has dealt with this common ailment in cats. Thank you!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fungus is such a great name :)

Probiotics with l. acidophilus help to manage my cats viral (both FHV&FCV) symptoms. Only a dash in the morning and at night helps them to keep their watery eyes under control. I strongly believe that immunity depends on what's in the guts, in humans and some other animals. Talk to your vet, there are some findings that l. acidophilus "treats" common cold in human children, and based on that research it is given to cats as well. In my cats' case it works great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christfawk

Keeps hobblin' along
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fungus is such a great name :)

Probiotics with l. acidophilus help to manage my cats viral (both FHV&FCV) symptoms. Only a dash in the morning and at night helps them to keep their watery eyes under control. I strongly believe that immunity depends on what's in the guts, in humans and some other animals. Talk to your vet, there are some findings that l. acidophilus "treats" common cold in human children, and based on that research it is given to cats as well. In my cats' case it works great.
Thank you we love his name!

I'll definitely bring up probiotics at his next visit, thank you!