Herpes Virus Symptoms Eliminated (no Kidding)

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spoken to my vet and she is also good with giving L-Lysine as supplement for overall immune system support as well. Thus we are doing the 500mg twice a day dose now and monitoring.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my vet...is also good with giving L-Lysine as supplement for overall immune system support.....
This is a common refrain.......except that there's absolutely no evidence to support it !

This is not how lysine works to eliminate herpes outbreaks.

Here is how it works against herpes: herpesvirus requires another amino acid called arginine to reproduce...lysine works against arginine, preventing it from fueling the herpesvirus....and, if herpes cannot access arginine, no new herpesvirus is created and the old cells die...and, the outbreak ceases. (here's a plain-language coverage of all that: Arginine and Its Effects on Viral Replication)

So, while lysine will inevitably stop the herpes flare, it won't and does not 'boost'/"support" the immune system.

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a common refrain.......except that there's absolutely no evidence to support it !

This is not how lysine works to eliminate herpes outbreaks.

Here is how it works against herpes: herpesvirus requires another amino acid called arginine to reproduce...lysine works against arginine, preventing it from fueling the herpesvirus....and, if herpes cannot access arginine, no new herpesvirus is created and the old cells die...and, the outbreak ceases. (here's a plain-language coverage of all that: Arginine and Its Effects on Viral Replication)

So, while lysine will inevitably stop the herpes flare, it won't and does not 'boost'/"support" the immune system.
at the moment, my vet cannot be certain the symptoms of my cat is conclusive to be herpes.
she did mention that feline herpes can be dormant in the cat body and flares up when the immune system is weaken.

After 2 days of 500mg L-Lysine twice a day, there is indeed less discharge from the eyes.
Breathing wise still a little wheezy and coughing but overall seems better than before.