Hernia After Spay

Melleniel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, My 9-month-old cat was spayed about 6 weeks ago. She developed a lump under the incision not long after but I assumed it was normal and the vet didn't say anything during the 1-week checkup. However, it's now very obvious that it is a hernia. The lump is soft and I can feel the hole.

I am very disappointed and annoyed that she'll most likely have to go through another surgery due to what I assume is the vet's fault. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've booked a holiday in 3 weeks and I really don't want to leave her with anyone while she is still recovering from surgery :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would have her re-checked to see if it is actually a hernia and if it might be a case where it should be monitored a while before deciding surgery is necessary. If you are uncomfortable with your current vet who did the surgery, then find another vet that is not part of your vet's practice to get a second opinion. The vet might even choose to do a diagnostic x-ray for a better depiction of what is going on, rather than just feeling the area to make a determination.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Melleniel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I will definitively get her checked out, and I'll probably end up using a different vet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely get her re-checked. Spay hernias are more common than you would think.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point it's not necessarily a hernia. Sometimes the body reacts to the internal dissolving sutures and that makes a lump. Definitely have a vet take a look. Hopefully it's just a lump! :vibes:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That lump after the spay can remain awhile longer than you would think after the spay. I would have the vet take another look at it and determine if it just needs more time to heal or not before writing the vet off and finding a new one. Plus, every animal's body heals differently, her may be reacting a little different than others. I would just take her back in to be looked at, at the same vet who spayed her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Melleniel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your replies!

I went back to the same vet and he confirmed it was a hernia but insisted it was an umbilical hernia and not from the operation. I had my doubts but assumed he knew best. Got booked to have it fixed but with a different vet at the same clinic(the only other vet clinic in my area would be closed until the end of July)

The vet that was going to do the actual surgery took one look at the hernia and asked if she'd been spayed. She could instantly tell that it was from the surgery.
The surgery went well, she is now recovering and I didn't even have to pay for it!