Here we go again

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have gotten in another pregnant foster. She's quite the character so far. She's terrified of people, but LOVES to be pet. So, we are working out way through teaching her that humans are not scary and that kitty mouths are not for biting LOL! Fortunately, she seems to be a fairly quick study and is really really really doing well.

I did have a question. She almost looks like her belly fur is super light compared to the rest of her fur. Is this from her licking to prep for the babies?

Three shes an dorable kitty pics and a picture of her belly attached.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, what a pretty kitty!

Yes, that is probably from licking.

Sounds like she’s beginning to trust you already! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, what a pretty kitty!

Yes, that is probably from licking.

Sounds like she’s beginning to trust you already! :)
She really is a good good girl. Just needs some time and attention. Do have a second question already. Any suggestions on how to clip the nails of a pregnant cat who doesn't care for humans so much, doesn't really like to be manhandled, and has a penchant for biting? I don't mind burritoing her but worry that'll freak her out and doesn't really save me from her teeth. They are BAD. Really must be clipped.

I almost wish I did it when she was still too scared to leave her box. She was so freaked out, she was more "compliant" (I hate that word). Now, as her confidence grows her attitude does too. 😁😁 Goofy goofy girl! But, I'll take that over freaked any day.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 'baby cradle' posture always seems to work the best for me and for my cats. If she has a treat that she values highly, you can give her one when you're done with whatever you can do in a session to make it rewarding for her.

Ruby3440

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My one cats hates his nails being clip. You normally have to put a blanket over guys head to do them and need at least 1 more other person to hold his back legs and tail when he is on his back. Good luck!

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your suggestions!! We had to scrap the idea of holding her like a baby (I'd have lost at least one hand) and waiting for her to sleep (she doesn't when we are in there) but I did take some backup in there with me and we did a modified two handed towel wrap, lap holding thing that took a minute to get right but got the job done!

She didnt seem too terribly stressed out (came right back for pets after giving me a couple ugly looks), no blood was drawn (mine or hers!) and those talons are now not getting caught on everything.

Thanks again for all the tips! Was really wanting to do this without tramatizing her as I'm so looking forward to continuing to watch her grow in her trust of humans and her sweetness. :blush::blush::blush:

Ruby3440

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's really good! Glad she didn't have any problems with you after. Out car would normally hate you for like an hour or 2 maybe, but then was find and would always look for cuddle after. Then our other cat all you have to do is flip him on his back between your legs and do turn that way. No constrains or another person needed. He is so easy.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's really good! Glad she didn't have any problems with you after. Out car would normally hate you for like an hour or 2 maybe, but then was find and would always look for cuddle after. Then our other cat all you have to do is flip him on his back between your legs and do turn that way. No constrains or another person needed. He is so easy.
I wait for my two resident cats to fall asleep in my lap to cut their nails. They'll sleep right through it. LOL!

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you give pregnant cats catnip?

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2 questions! 1. How common is it for a cat to completely ignore the nesting box they like the most? I ask because I have two boxes in the room with my foster. Normally I only have one (it's a room, not a house) or 1 and the bathtub if they are upstairs. I actually gave her a second box because she was so terrified when she got here I wanted her to have a box that was enclosed on top. Now that shes comfortable she's NEVER in it. She sleeps in her other one a lot but doesn't ever get in the covered one. Legit, i check on her 100x a day or watch her on the camera and I have not seen her in there even a single time.

I just cleaned out the closet because she seems desperate to get behind the door and was gonna put another box in the closet incase she'd rather have her babies in an enclosed spot versus out in the main room. Since good sized nursing boxes are hard to find and the second box is already one she is used to and has her scent on it, I was debating cutting the top off the second box in the room and using that. But, I don't want to do that and her actually want a covered box to have her babies in. (Covered boxes that I can use for nesting boxes are 100x harder for me to find). I can't leave it covered IN the closet because I won't be able to see inside it with any of my cameras and as fabulous as she is now she's still a bit of a wild card so I may need to monitor from a camera during the labor process.

2. Do you think she's actually pregnant? I waffle between yes and no because she can look yes and no all in the same sitting. She's been with me or at the shelter nursery for 4 weeks now and was sent to our rescue saying she was already pregnant. I assume that means shes minimum of 7 weeks along otherwise the intake shelter wouldn't have thought she actually was pregnant. All pics are from today and taken within 10 minutes of each other. I've never had a non-pregnant cat so no idea on whether her eating is normal, but she is eating. She's been grooming like a mad woman the last 3 days or so bit can still EASILY reach her nether regions. (This close to the end with my last moms they could clean their bums). No ability to feel her tummy for movement as I may lose a hand. Nipples are definitely (absolutely 100%) pointy but they seemed very very (extremely!!) small compared to my last couple moms and they are stark white. I legit go from thinking "she's definitely first stage labor!" to "Goofy girl is playing us all and needs to get spayed and into the cattery" on a daily basis. LOL! Anyone have a guess/thought?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats will usually go to the most private nest during labor or when it is time to deliver and not before.

I do not see the traditional bulges on her sides, but she could be pregnant with just one or two kittens. A vet should be able to tell you for sure with an ultrasound or x-ray.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sarthur2 Sarthur2 ! I cracked the closet door and put a third box in there for her as well. She has no interest in it yet but it's there if she needs it and I didn't have to cut down her other one. I was also able to move the camera so it see all 3 nesting boxes.

I agree on the lack of bulges. It's only in that very last picture of her feet on the wall that she looks at all bulgy. I can't take her in for a vet check for another week or two so we will just hang out and continue to work on our socialization skills! Plus side, she's not terrified any more. Negative side, as she has grown in confidence she has grown in her brattyness. LOL!!! She's quite the proper diva now!

Attachments

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got some excellent news today! My pregnant foster momma is not a pregnant foster momma! :D:D:D She's just "thick"!. LOL.

So, she'll move over to the cat program and go on up for adoption! Thankfully, one less litter to be had and poor girl doesn't have to go through labor or motherhood!