Herb Garden (Update)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is an update of my herb garden. From left to right:

Flat Leaf Parsley, Sweet Basil, Greek Oregano, Thyme (front) and Rosemary (Back)

The Rosemary and Thyme were the first plants I transplanted. A trial run since I haven't cared for a plant for decades. A week later I transplanted the rest.

I wasn't sure the parsley was going to survive. The day after I brought the plants home from the nursery, the parsley was wilted and dying. They were in really tall pots and had a lot of roots. The planter in my garden is on the shallower side. In order to get the parsley (and other plants) into the planter I had to gently tap away most of the original soil without damaging the roots.

For a couple of days after, the parsley continued to wilt and parts of it were dying. I decided I had nothing to lose so I cut away a lot of the plant and hoped for the best. I gave all of the plants a really good watering and filled the reservoir so it can self water.

It's taken a week, but the parsley has perked up. The other plants are thriving. The basil in particular seems to be doing exceptionally well and has grown quite a bit. Though the front plant seems a bit stunted. Healthy but stunted.

My brother, gardens and suggested that I keep the lights on from 5am to 11pm and give them 6 hours of darkness. I've been doing about that most days. I am going to get a light timer which will make it easier for consistency.

This weekend I'm going to make cauliflower pizza with fresh basil leaves. I can't wait. I'm making turkey stock tomorrow and will put in a bit of thyme and parsley.

I'm not really sure why I bought oregano, I don't cook a lot of Italian food, especially sauces, but it seemed like a good idea at the time! LOL I could have used the planter space for something else that I would use more often such as dill or a bit of lettuce. Oh well. Maybe I can add the leaves to salad or make a tea from them.

Here is a picture of my garden, both after (top) and before they were transplanted (bottom).

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Nice. I think it would be great to have fresh herbs in the house. One of the things I wanted in the kitchen was to have a bay-type window behind the sink and then put herbs in that area. But with the cats, I knew we couldn't do it.

Your plants are doing well.

I use a ton of oregano. I like to add it with basil and rosemary to roasted veggies. I will add it to bread dough and, especially, focaccia. I will add basil and oregano to green beans. I will add it to pasta, rice, and to couscous. There's a fantastic recipe for oregano shrimp that we make often. I will add it to beef and to chicken. Use it in an omelet or a frittata. Add it to your mushrooms. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the great suggestions about the oregano.   I associate it with pasta sauces and pizza sauce.    You've given me some other options.

Because of the location of the planter, my cats aren't bothering with it.  The table is close enough that if they wanted to they could jump into the plants, but they aren't interested.   I want to get some pet friendly flowering plants. Those won't be in a planter, so I don't know how they will react to plants sitting on a table top.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a nice setup you have. I'd like something like that, but have done OK growing plants with long lights I got at Canadian Tire. It's messy though. Very satisfying to have your own wee garden, and even more so when you get to eat it!