Hepatic Lipidosis Help

ClimbingKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! I wanted to get some insight from those of you who have been through this without a feeding tube.

Hepatic lipidosis was confirmed on ultrasound yesterday. As of right now they have not been able to determine any underlying cause. We are also sending out a fine needle aspirate. Kitty is a 6 year old spayed female named Amelie who is scared of everything. She is jaundiced but was eating.

We admitted her to the 24hr emergency vet last night for IV fluid therapy. She did well for them and ate 1/3 can of a/d but then gradually reduced how much she ate at the following feedings. She also was initially very calm and rested and now she is freaked out and hiding. We are suspecting the hepatic lipidosis is stress induced due to many changes in our home life recently so I am worried about her being stressed out while at the hospital now and the fact that she is now refusing to eat for them.

They rechecked her bloodwork and liver values have gone down. Bilirubin has gone from a 4+ to a 2.8. This is after 200mL of subQ fluids right before initial diagnosis and just under 24 hours of IV fluids.

The vet is saying if she will eat for me that there is no need for a feeding tube as long as I can get her to take in enough calories. I have been stopping by the emergency vet as often as possible to visit and hand feed her. She will be coming home tomorrow morning after 36 hours total of IV fluids. I will be continuing care at home with subQ fluids and feeding.

I know this is a nasty nasty disease and recovery is going to be long and tedious if she can pull through this. I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were regarding what we have done so far vs what else we should be doing. She is also on denamarin and ursodial as well as an antibiotic, cerenoa and mirtazapine.

What do you guys think? Is she on the right path?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat had hepatic lipidosis almost 7 years ago. He did have a feeding tube. Without the tube you will probably have to syringe feed. Here is a video showing how to do it The main thing is to go slow and use the side of the mouth. I too used the A/D. If you can, get a full can of the A/D in each day to make sure that enough calories are going in. It may take a while for her to start eating enough on her own.

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi- My cat was actually diagnosed with cholangiohepatitis (liver failure, jaundice) and syringe feeding was pretty stressful for him so I ended up putting the food on my finger and placing it in his mouth, which he accepted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ClimbingKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys just wanted to update this for anyone who happens to stumble across this post in the future. We continued at home care and feeding with a plethora of oral medications and subcutaneous fluids. I syringe fed her 1-1.5cans of a/d per day without a feeding tube broken up into numerous feedings throughout the day. She started eating in her own within a week and within 2 weeks her liver values were back to normal at which point we stopped syringe feeding and just monitored her food intake and started slowly weaning her off the meds.

I should note that her liver values were terrible at the start of all this. I was prepared for recovery to take months, not two weeks!