Hepatic Lipidosis Help!

shmerg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. My 10 y/o male Riley has always been a large cat (not just weight), and very social. He has been on a very appropriately paced diet, was healthy, no issues. A few weeks back, he and our other two cats had the sniffles. They were eating much less as a result, but still acting normally. Saturday, Riley started hiding in the basement, and refused food. Monday morning we took him in to the vet immediately as he began looking jaundiced. He was diagnosed with hepatic lipidosis, and was started on IV fluids. He was force fed a little and then we put in an NG tube and he has been tolerating his feeds well -- up to 75% of his goal intake so far with no vomiting or etc. He has only shown interest in food twice... once Monday night, he nibbled on some food, and this morning he ate a few cat treats. His ultrasound and bloodwork did not reveal anything indicative of a primary cause. He has been stable since Monday, but there was not much change in his liver function (his billirubin was 17!). He is alert and talkative, albeit cranky from his tube. The vet said "any other cat would be laying on his side, not talking, walking, etc," but his chance of recovery is a 50/50 shot. If he is still stable tomorrow, he will get the more sturdy tube in his neck and come home by the weekend. Riley is truly special to me, and I'm incredibly anxious, if anyone could share their experiences with HL I would be so grateful. Attached is a picture of my boy because he is just too darn cute!
IMG_0071.JPG

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is such a sweet looking cat. I have a cat that survived this almost seven years ago and he is still here. It is a slow recovery and the most important thing is getting enough food in every day. Patches came home with the feeding tube in the side of his neck that went into his esophagus. The feedings aren't hard to do, the main thing is to take it really slow when giving the feedings.

For your cat the primary cause could well simply have been the decreased food intake from having the sniffles. A cat won't eat what they can't smell. HL is caused by the cats body breaking down fat too fast. Their liver isn't very efficient at metabolizing fat so fat deposits build up on the liver.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shmerg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is such a sweet looking cat. I have a cat that survived this almost seven years ago and he is still here. It is a slow recovery and the most important thing is getting enough food in every day. Patches came home with the feeding tube in the side of his neck that went into his esophagus. The feedings aren't hard to do, the main thing is to take it really slow when giving the feedings.

For your cat the primary cause could well simply have been the decreased food intake from having the sniffles. A cat won't eat what they can't smell. HL is caused by the cats body breaking down fat too fast. Their liver isn't very efficient at metabolizing fat so fat deposits build up on the liver.
Glad to hear your cat made it! I am hoping for this outcome for Riley... but I am so nervous. That's what we are thinking the cause is, but his levels not coming down are concerning.

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are doing the right thing, keep the feeding going. Keep in mind the liver can fully regenerate itself, but it may take weeks if not months to return to normal assuming this is indeed an acute episode of liver failure.