Helping stray cat - what is best for Mr. Orange?

fenya7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please share your experience, I need to find out what would be better for this cat.

He is a very friendly stray cat, a two y.o. male orange tabby. He is not neutered.  I've been feeding him for about 4 months now, he always is meeting me and wants to be pet and played with. He is VERY skinny, and one meal I bring him every day seems to be his only meal. Recently I noticed that in the garden where he usually hangs out, there are two bowls left outside (for their small dog) with dog food. This cat never was interested in water I leave him, but eats all wet food I bring in one sitting. What bothers me is that he probably eats that dog food as well, and this is a NO for a cat. The owner of the garden says the cat is only a visitor, not his pet. In the course of four months, I barely saw the guy more than 4 times. A very odd looking lady who lives in the next house once told us that the cat is hers, but when I suggested that I buy food for him so that she gives him cat food, she says that he is fine, no-no-no.

I only saw her one time, and she seamed very odd, to put it mildly.

I have my own cat in my one bedroom apartment, I cannot take another one, pets are not allowed. I do not drive and I have to walk 40 minutes one way to feed him, I work full time, so at times I just cannot do it. Especially when I leave for vacation. The cat used to have a nice younger buddy (a kitten about 8 m.o.) who was extremely friendly. When I was on vacation, a maniac killed him, I found his little body near dumpster on neighboring street.

Where this cat hangs out, in the back of the garden, there is a raccoon family and (according to the garden owner) all wounds and scratches on the orange cat are from raccoons' attacks.

He needs to be rescued, but I do have my doubts -- I cannot find him home, the only home that I found already has a terrier (high jumping type) 4 y.o. neutered male, he recently killed three baby opossums in his garden. He hates cats and chases them.IS IT POSSIBLE TO INTRODUCE the orange cat there? In any case, I plan to trap the cat and take him to the vet for exams, vaccination, de-worming, etc.

Should I also have him neutered if you tell me the best is to release him to his original place? In case you guys tell me it is possible to gradually introduce this cat to the terrier home or another home if I find such - in this case, I of course will have him neutered.

It is terrible to release him back to where he is so neglected and the place is dangerous for him. And it would be cruel to keep him in enclosed area in the back of his new house (where they have the terrier) and gradually work on their contacts. He is an outdoors cat and will get very stressed or even sick.

I get all types of advice - some people say - leave him alone and just feed him when you can (raccoons and maniacs are still around); others say - take him to the vet for veterinarian help, but do not neuter him, because he will be more mellow and this won't help him to survive if he is released; others say -provide him with all vet work plus neutering, he will be fine where he came from, release him.

Some say - he will adjust to a new home, not a problem (I am looking for another home) Others say - he is an outdoors cat and no matter what kind of new home he may have, he will get out and will try to find his way back to his familiar place.

I am sorry for such a long question, but I need you guys to see the situation in full. His present neighborhood is family houses in a lower income community in Los Angeles.

Please help me find the best solution. I am willing to pay all his vet bills to get him prepared for a new home, but so far only one taker... What is best for Mr. Orange???  thank you very much for your time and advice.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best thing you can do is to get him neutered.  This will stop him from procreating as well as stop any wandering and fighting that result from the hormones coursing through his body. 

Since he seems so very friendly it would be great if you could find him a home.  Do you have any no kill shelters in your area? 

If you have him neutered and then you bring him to your territory, it can take a cat 4-6 weeks to acclimate to a new area.  During this time he would have to be in a large cage and not let out.  If he is let out, he will try his best to get back to his new territory.  So you would need a safe place to keep him that is out of the elements during this 4-6 weeks.  He would need a litter box and fed daily.  If you neuter him and then take him back to his current territory, at least he will be neutered, but he will still need food and shelter. 

If it were me and I could not keep him, then I would search for a responsible person to adopt him or find a no kill shelter.  You can also try calling rescue organizations to see if they can help.

Thank you for caring about him.  I hope that you can find a solution.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fenya7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for your response. I now understand about neutering him - in any case that should be better for Mr. Orange. I am trying to find him home. What do you think about the terrier situation? is it possible to make this house safe for Mr. Orange?

No-kill agencies do not exist in our area, only TNR programs, but even they want ME to pay, so I'd rather deal with my Vet clinic. I contacted all imaginable places, but the response is - no, we do not take cats from individuals, and yes, we euthanize unwanted cats.

No organization accepts cats for foster or adopt program from individuals.

What is your opinion on bringing him back to his original place where he is not safe? Without hormones, would he become more mellow and an easier target for coons and alike??

thank you again,

Fenya's Mom

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have any easy answers for you but do want to say that if it were me I would run away from the place with the terriers.

You already know that they kill other animals - the little opossums. I think they would be more likely to kill the cat than not.

My daughter and her husband rescued a kitten found on the road. Did thorough introductions with their terrier mix, to the point where kitten would snuggle on the couch with the dog. And then one day the dog killed the kitten.

Not worth taking a chance.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't leave him there either.  It's just not safe. 

Maybe you could foster him for a bit and bring him into a small bathroom. 

fenya7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much, I have a very clear answer from you regarding the terrier situation. I keep looking for a good home for Mr. Orange.

Thank you !

fenya7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no, I totally cannot foster him. I now am telling people that he comes with dowry and that I will also pay alimony !!! not only will he be  neutered and so forth, but he now has all those added perks... Will see, maybe such a generous offer could help :-)) thank you for your advice.

Last edited:

fenya7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 no, I totally cannot foster him. I now am telling people that he comes with dowry and that I will also pay alimony !!! not only will he be  neutered and so forth, but he now has all those added perks... Will see, maybe such a generous offer could help :-)) thank you for your advice