helping fat cat lose weight

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My oldest cat Estelle is very overweight. We adopted her that way and it is very difficult to keep her weight lower. Someone had declawed her and when she arrived she seemed to be tender footed. That stopped after a year but I believe it's always affected her confidence and willingness to play.

All of her blood tests are very good, but she's still as a pillow most of the time and shows only mild interest in playing. Her passion is eating.

The vet suggested Science Diet DM because of the protein content versus the carb. However, I noticed corn gluten. How can this be any better than wheat gluten for a grain based protein source? Plus other ingredients like "beef tallow" seem poor.

It seems like it would be better to offer her other brands of canned that don't have grain. She enjoys Wellness and Innova canned, and these seem better than the Science Diet DM. I suspect vets recommend prescription Hills primarily because its something they sell as prescription diets.

The other cats have varying appreciation of canned and varying weight. What about EVO canned as a quality canned food? I was thinking splitting one5.5 oz can into two meals for her each day.

The cat should weigh 15 pounds and weighs 19! (big kitty overall). She's a pound rescue but has very muscular build. She's freakishly strong and when motivated---say by the sound of rattling cans---can run pretty fast.

For a year, she's not received dry food. The other cats get Innova dry to supplement canned (some don't like any canned foods). Their dish is up high and Estelle the big cat can't jump up to where the dry is. None of them get treats. But she will snuffle the remaining canned from the dishes of the other and obviously is getting too much food.

I feed them a combination of Nutro canned, Wellness canned, California Naturals Canned and Homestyle by Prairie and Evangers. The others like the Nutro and the Praire and Evengers.No one likes Merricks.

Ideas? Suggestions?

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Bailey started out at 31 pounds in January of last year. He got sick and I found out that he had IBD (inflammatory bowel disease). Of course I knew that he needed to lose weight, but this time the vets told me that I had no choice . . . I had to do something! They gave me 2 different food options because of his IBD, Hills d/d (I think it was d/d) and Royal Canin canned rabbit or duck and told me how much he could have of each food.

I put him on Royal Canin because I've never had much luck with any Hills food and he could have more of the RC than the Hills.

He could eat 1 1/3 cans of Royal Canin daily. I quit feeding him dry at that time because he was having so much trouble with constipation and the carbs are bad for our kitties anyway.

He now weighs 21 pounds 8 ounces and still has a couple of pounds to go. He's a big guy!

I still use Royal Canin food, but also feed him Instinct (Nature's Variety), Wellness and Evo canned just for the variety. They're all about the same calorie count in a 5.5 ounce can.

I'd talk to your vet and try to find out how much food Estelle can have in a day, then measure it out and make sure she doesn't get any more than that. Bailey can still lose weight on 1 1/3 cans a day but I think we're getting to the point where I need to cut him back even more.

I still have to stand guard over the other cats' food to make sure he doesn't get into it.

Good luck! It can be done!

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully your vet discussed Hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) with you. It is a serious danger to overweight cats and it can kill them.

This is one of the reasons an overweight cat MUST loose weight very slowly.

I have had the best luck with all wet, low carb food, which you are already doing.

Is there any way you can get her to play more. Take her out on a leash and harness? Getting her moving is going to be important.

Your vet might suggest regular monitoring of her bloodwork while she is in the process of losing weight.

I know you said all blood was normal so I am assuming that no diabetes which is common in obese kitties.

Hopefully some others that have had success with getting overweight cats to loose will chime in with some more suggestions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

Hopefully your vet discussed Hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) with you. It is a serious danger to overweight cats and it can kill them.

This is one of the reasons an overweight cat MUST loose weight very slowly.

I have had the best luck with all wet, low carb food, which you are already doing.

Is there any way you can get her to play more. Take her out on a leash and harness? Getting her moving is going to be important.

Your vet might suggest regular monitoring of her bloodwork while she is in the process of losing weight.

I know you said all blood was normal so I am assuming that no diabetes which is common in obese kitties.

Hopefully some others that have had success with getting overweight cats to loose will chime in with some more suggestions
I got her a laser pointer a few months ago but she will only play for a bit with it. Tried the harness and leash. She rolled around the deck like a seal and refused to get up.

I'm familiar with hepatic lipidosis. It can be a danger with all large cats, even if they aren't obese. Back in 1986, my cat, who eventually lived to age 19, had a case of it at age 3. She was the second cat in vet history to have a stomach tube.

The landlord of that apartment sprayed for pests but didn't let me know. It had a toxic effect on my cat who didn't eat for a few days. She ended up with hepatic lipidosis. Took 3 months to get her fully back to normal.

With Estelle, there is also no danger of her losing weight quickly. The kitten helps keep her more active. They play so hopefully those things together with the elimination of the dry food will help.

The dry I had been giving them was Innova. And the wet is high quality too, so I just don't want to move to Science Diet. Turns out she doesn't like it anyway.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try to feed her separately and not let her have access to the other uneaten food in other bowls. Maybe try a Dabird toy. I have yet to see a cat who could resist it. You are on the right track by staying away from grains and free feeding. I hope something can help.

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
haha i just posted a topic almost the same as this.. how embarrassing
i'll be following this one too!