Helping cats adapt to change

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I would appreciate any advice on the best way to make a big change to my cats routine.
I have two cats, a mother and her son who get on well, and are indoor only cats.
I enjoy having them on the bed with me, but they wake me up very early each morning, and if one doesn't succeed the other takes over, yowling or bashing me (I really don't think I'm able to ignore them and break this pattern) . I have various things going on in my life and have really do need the sleep.
So my plan is to shut them in the main living area downstairs at night, with various beds, cat tree, toys and a timed feeder to give them breakfast around the time they wake me for it.
I'm still relatively new to having cats indoors (but with the roads and numbers of incidents near me, I'm happy with the choice), but I do worry their lives will be less enriched if they are shut away at night, so want to do it in the best way possible.
Many thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Most timed feeders make at least a little bit of noise when they open, which cats will most likely pick up on whether you do or not. Any chance you could put it your bedroom, and set it to open just a little bit before they normally start bugging you? If it is purely that they want to eat that early, once they have a chance to get some food they may just leave you alone.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So my plan is to shut them in the main living area downstairs at night,
They won't be less enriched. Along with the things you're planning unless you decide to try FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's idea, try some low volume cat music for a little while early in their evening, and there's this website also that might convince them the situation in the living room overnight isn't all that bad :) purrli . com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have done this for 4 nights now. They aren't too impressed but seem to settle, and a new extra soft bed on the table helps. I find it a bit hard hearing the mewing and some bashing at the door.

I did try a timed feeder without shutting them out a while ago, but they just kept hassling me anyway! The mother cat is a particularly strong willed cat and basically howled her way into my house and life, with her former owners (servants) agreement. Hopefully this will work out OK, and a least with things as there are there is always someone WFH to entertain them during the day.

Many thanks for the advice and glad the site is back online.